What is a driver

Participant count
  • Participant list

joshpoints
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Is a driver a speaker? I was reading up on speakers and it stated that a traditional speaker produces various frequencies through the use of one or more drives. So are they saying that a two way speaker for example is one speaker but has two drivers? I don't know why they say it like this, because essentially even in a two way speaker you still have two independent speakers that have separate voicecoils and magnets. So I would say yes they have two drivers, but those two drivers are each a speaker.

Think of a home stereo speaker. Traditionally (at least 10 years ago, anyway) a single home-stereo speaker had a subwoofer, a midwoofer, and a tweeter. (Some have separate woofers and mids.)

That's 3 or 4 drivers in a single speaker. I don't recall ever hearing anyone refer to a tower speaker as "speakers", unless they were referring to a pair of towers.

Think of a speaker as a matched set of drivers. (For instance, a component speaker. In this case, the separate drivers aren't even mounted in a single frame, but they are collectively referred to as a single speaker.)

Think of a home stereo speaker. Traditionally (at least 10 years ago, anyway) a single home-stereo speaker had a subwoofer, a midwoofer, and a tweeter. (Some have separate woofers and mids.)
That's 3 or 4 drivers in a single speaker. I don't recall ever hearing anyone refer to a tower speaker as "speakers", unless they were referring to a pair of towers.

Think of a speaker as a matched set of drivers. (For instance, a component speaker. In this case, the separate drivers aren't even mounted in a single frame, but they are collectively referred to as a single speaker.)
Okay. So I guess I should say that I have 10 drivers in my car and 6 speakers.

THanks.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.