what happens when...

Participant count
  • Participant list

thunderhack
10+ year member

want to try something out, so bare with me, i know they are dumb question.

1- what happens if you go over rms watts by 50. like having an amp put out 200rms but speaker only handle 150 rms (scenario)

2- what happens if there is too much impedance on an amp?

it would be a one time thing, unless my setup works.....

50 watts wont make much of a difference unless your on putting it on tweets and as long as its clean.

and too high of an imp, will result in less power too low of an imp will result in more/kicking the amp into protect or cooking of an amp.

1. if you have a dmm you can set the gains on the amp to match the speakers' rms

If you cant do that then running them 50watts over the speakers' rms shouldn't hurt them too much as long as you watch your volume and don't go ballistic with it

2. Most amps will function properly at up to 16 ohms so that shouldn't be a problem.

The big thing though is that most amps make less power at higher ohm loads. For example if an amp makes 200 watts at 4 ohms then it might only make 100 watts at 8 ohms. Check the specs on the amp to see what kind of power it makes at certain ohm loads.

u will be fine going 50 over rms...its once u get into the peak power range that u dont want to go over
considering most peak ratings are complete BS this isn't really true...also, it depends what kind of speakers you're using. i wouldn't go over RMS on speakers as it seems kinda pointless to me.

if you mean a high impedance for an amp, no that doesn't hurt it. high impedance's are actually great for amps. its low impedance's that kill amps (like below .5ohms without good electrical to back it up)

another question--- what if i was to hook up home speakers, each are 8 ohms to a head unit that pushes 20 watt x 4. the max power for the home speakers are 100 watts

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

thunderhack

10+ year member
thunderhack
louisville, ky
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from