What does subwoofer sound like? (Clipping?)

Participant count
  • Participant list

Hoots

Florida
Okay hi everyone , basically what does a subwoofer sound like up close?

My box had some problems with leaky air and i sealed it up with titebond and sawdust with silicone over it. No more air is leaking.

I am setting gains by ear with a 50 hz test tone. I stopped turning gain up when the sound changed. So I was playing music , bass boosted songs espicially and up close I heard like a mechanical whistle sound , that might not be the right way to even describe it , when i turn my gain down I still hear it but its less , only when my gain is really low I dont hear it but when its that low I barely get any bass and it *****. I never heard what a subwoofer shoudl sound like and I am hella confused , I am scared of ruining a 200$ subwoofer. i cant use a dmm because on my old amp it wouldnt show anything when I tried plugging it into the output , I might try again sooon , and I dont have an o scope my only option right now is ear.

Also I played my subwoofer by accident on input slave for like 5 minutes and thats when that noise started , maybe that damaged my subwoofer somehow? , i dint notice it was playing threw that and then it stopped playing all toghether and I thought I blew my sub , I siwtched to master slave and now its doing it still , and im not sure if it was doing it before i accidentally had it on input slave :/

Please help Im freaking out //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/uhoh.gif.c07307dd22ee7e63e22fc8e9c614d1fd.gif

I'd be more worried about smell than hearing it.

However, clipping and exceeding xmax into the xmech zone are closely related sounds.

IT sounds less musical and more brute force mechanical.

However, clipping and exceeding xmax into the xmech zone are closely related sounds.

I've been playing strictly songs form this channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/BassBoostOfficial , I think thats why i might have those noises , I thought bass boost is bad only on amp or hu now I realize its probably bad in general even on songs , unless i use like -3db 50 hz test tone ?

Any type of bass boosted tracks can easily overdrive your system into clipping.
I have a lot of those songs and normally they already hit hard, no need to be bass boosted. Some of them are 0 db, normally should be around -4 to -6.
Okay well I tried setting gains again , this time I played no bass boosted songs and i still heard that noise , i have a feeling its the vibrations of the box , but more then likely it is my subwoofer. For like the first couple songs I heard nothing then for some reason the longer I played different songs the worse the noise got , I dont know what to do anymore... I might bring it into the swap and see if they can set the gains with an o scope or tell me what the problem is. My voltage on the gain was close to liek 3 or 4 and my hu voltage is 2 , so I m not even overdriving it. Its crazy i've had nothing but problems trying to install subwoofers for the past 2 months :/

I looked up clipping and it doesnt sound like clipping tbh and I dont smell anythign either. Maybe i am paranoid but i can hear like a whistle scrape noise , its so hard to explain. ill take a video tomorrow.

take your sub out of its box - keep the wires hooked up tho - play it at low volume and listen to the sub - check all around it and see if you can pin point where this sound is happening.

is it still happening playing out side of the box ?

is there any crap inside the box rattling around ? - could it be the wires inside the box ? is there any polly fill stuffing inside the box ?

i saw you posted "swap" and your location says FL . south east FL by chance ? im right above ft lauderdale.

if your local shoot me a pm

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.