What do I need to add to my car's electrical for this system?

Strakele
10+ year member

TX
I'm going to be adding a 1200W mono amp and 125Wx4 4 channel amp to my car. Both of these amps are a bit over the power handling of my speakers, so the gains will be set conservatively. I figure the total continuous output will realistically be 1500-1600W RMS.

I currently have a 110 amp alternator and 44 a/h battery. I'll be using 1/0 guage wire and upgrading the big 3.

I'm not trying to win any competitions and never turn my head unit volume past 2/3.

Do I NEED additonal electrical system upgrades to power this system safely?

Audio shop wants me to buy a capacitor, but most places I read online say don't bother and get a high output alternator instead. There aren't a whole lot available for my car, but I found a 160 amp alt for $350. I'm not going to be doing much if any listening without the car running, so from what I've read I don't really need a second battery.

Your input is much appreciated.

I'm guessing NOT. Really only 1 way to find out. A second battery is the cheapest remedy if you're running a bit short but eats up space and weighs 70 pounds. A HU alternator is a big help, but IMO only if you're doing more than that or have money to burn.

I've run more off factory charging systems no problem.

***EDIT***

Caps are pretty useless for practical purposes. Don't bother.

just do the big 3 and you will befine. id add a small batt in the rear but that's just me. just something small to help out.

I really don't have a lot of money to burn and when I was planning this system, I designed it so (I thought) I would have to do a lot of electrical upgrades. Guy at the shop think my car will completely shut down on a high power bass hit though, which is making me rethink and ask you guys, since you know more about this than I do, and aren't trying to sell me something.

From my understanding, an extra batt helps most when using the system with the engine off, and an alternator helps most when the engine is running, which it will be 99% of the time. The alt is definitely a lot more expensive though...

Don't get a bigger alternator. There are MANY guys that are pushing 2-3 x's the power as you and they don't have upgraded alts.

Big 3, 0 gauge wire, strong front battery to start. If you're still not content to where your voltage readings are, THEN get a trunk battery. Start simple and work your way to a secondary trunk battery.

*make sure you're properly fused* //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Z

Don't get a bigger alternator. There are MANY guys that are pushing 2-3 x's the power as you and they don't have upgraded alts.
And all of them should have upgraded alternators but are too cheap to get them.

An alternator is the most useful upgrade you can do for the car right now. Since you aren't playing with it off much, then the alternator is the best bet.

You could get by without one, though. A second battery will help, as that'll last you through the times when you have it cranked enough to get you to the times when you have it turned down.

If you keep the volume up a lot, the alternator will be the best help.

What car is it? You should contact DC Power for an alternator.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.