what amp to get???

stanza
10+ year member

MD
ok so i am about to get rid of my 2 Rockford fosgate 12" R2 subs and im going to get two 12" Rockford Fosgate P3D212 or P3D412.. i want to get 600 watts to both subs.. so wat would be a perfect amp for doing so? would i want to get a 600 watt 2 channel amp?

Also could anyone explain what the difference between 2 and 4 ohm is? which would be better? What is the difference between a class A/B amp, a class BD amp, and a class D amp?.. sorry im new to all of this and im trying to learn atleast the basics of it before i start putting alot of money into my truck. Anyone who could type a VERY BRIEF beginers guide would be awsome.. thanks guys.

Fosgate makes subpar subwoofers and Thier amps are over priced..

Idmhighly

Suggest looking I to some other options..

The class bd is one of RFs own designs it's basically the same as class d.. The use pwm and digital swiching supplies to Increase efficiency..

The mono amps sound fine as long as u get a good quality amp..

the impedance on the coils are for wiring convience to match with the amp/power you want..

2 dual 4 ohm subwoofers can be wired to 1ohm to maxamize most monoblock amps..

I'm not sure what music u like what car you have or what ur budget is but for the money they have much better options..

ok so let me ask this to u guys.. if i want to run two subs at 500 watts each, do i need to buy a 1000 watt amp? or can i buy a 2 channel 500 watt amp?

ok so let me ask this to u guys.. if i want to run two subs at 500 watts each, do i need to buy a 1000 watt amp? or can i buy a 2 channel 500 watt amp?
Just buy a 500w amp. Buying a bigger amp will only blow up the woofers quicker; you won't notice an audible difference. People will tell you you'll gain 3dB and be twice as loud with twice the power. Sounds reasonable but it's utter rubbish. You'll only gain 3db on paper and not in your car. 10dB is the perceivable "twice as loud".

In regards to ohm; higher is better...to a point anyway.

ok so i am about to get rid of my 2 Rockford fosgate 12" R2 subs and im going to get two 12" Rockford Fosgate P3D212 or P3D412.. i want to get 600 watts to both subs.. so wat would be a perfect amp for doing so? would i want to get a 600 watt 2 channel amp?
Also could anyone explain what the difference between 2 and 4 ohm is? which would be better? What is the difference between a class A/B amp, a class BD amp, and a class D amp?.. sorry im new to all of this and im trying to learn atleast the basics of it before i start putting alot of money into my truck. Anyone who could type a VERY BRIEF beginers guide would be awsome.. thanks guys.
An ohm is the unit of electrial resistance. The lower ohms you have running on your amp, the more power you get out of it but sound quality goes dowm and your amp will get hotter. The speakers you are looking at have two voice coils. Each coil has either 2 ohms or 4 ohms, depending on which speaker you are talking about. These two coils can be wired up in different configurations to provide a different resistance to your amp. As far as amp classes go, most people are using a class D amp for subs these days. If you want an amp for other speakers then learn more about different classes.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.