water pump.

sqhertz
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
Miami ,Fl
so my water pump went out the other day //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/verymad.gif.3f39c5c2fd57527b671fad3efdfac756.gif

i looked through the haynes manual and it doesnt seem TOO complicated. how bad are they really? i have all the tools , just not enough experience. or would it be better just to take it to the shop?

The Haynes books are fairly straight forward and are often a good source of info for the job you are about to do.

I say go for it and just keep all your parts together so they do not get lost.

so my water pump went out the other day //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/verymad.gif.3f39c5c2fd57527b671fad3efdfac756.gif
i looked through the haynes manual and it doesnt seem TOO complicated. how bad are they really? i have all the tools , just not enough experience. or would it be better just to take it to the shop?
do it yourself. im doing mine on my 98 sonoma 4.3 tomorrow

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f107/how-to-change-the-water-pump-on-98-w-56k-die-198215/

since you have an older car it should not be to bad I did the pump on my truck in two hours ... the clearance on the front of those engines are about the same as my truck so should be no problem.

me n my pops did one on my old saturn sl. kinda small quarters to work in but we got it done. just pull the belt off, take offa couple bolts, water pump comes right off, make new seal wit new gasket n pump, put bolts back in, put belt back on. and done.

pretty easy DIY project...I would only recommend taking it to a shop if its one like the Probe GT i had where the pump runs off the timing belt...Pain in the Ass //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

pretty easy DIY project...I would only recommend taking it to a shop if its one like the Probe GT i had where the pump runs off the timing belt...Pain in the Ass //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
lol... ya I have a buddy that is in school to become a Honda tech. He told me that to change the water pump in a newer Honda that you have to take the timing chain off... What a joke.

im thinking about it.

the only thing i can think of , is that i dont have a gasket scraper.

when i pull the belt off , do i have to keep things aligned so **** doesnt **** up ? or does it not matter. im not saying ill be spinning that **** around , just curious how carefull i have to be.

also , i would have to flush the rad , right?

....this may be interesting..

im thinking about it.
the only thing i can think of , is that i dont have a gasket scraper.

when i pull the belt off , do i have to keep things aligned so **** doesnt **** up ? or does it not matter. im not saying ill be spinning that **** around , just curious how carefull i have to be.

also , i would have to flush the rad , right?

....this may be interesting..

up.

picking up parts today , going to do it tomorrow.

any other help would be greeaatt,

Their is nothing hard about it. Its stright foward and is as easy as chnging the alt. The hardest part is getting the fan unbolted from the water pump. Use a cresent wrench and a dead blow put the cresent on the nut and hit the resent in the right directoion to loosen it. It will not come of if you sit their and do it by hand the belt will just slip. One you get that loose un bolt it and then unbolt the pump. And as far as a gaket scraper use a razor blade.

when you go to refill the truck with coolant, either get premixed coolant OR look up the capacity of the cooling system, divide that number in half and put that much of pure antifreeze in it, then top it off with as much water as it will hold..this will give you a perfect 50/50 mix which is what you want/need.

thanks.

i just dont want to have any unexpected BS come up.

my heater core is bypassed , so i cant flush that. would i need to flush the block? or would flushing the rad be enough?

and another possibly dumb question... when you bring the old fluid/s to autozone , advanced etc.. , does it matter what type of container its in? like could i use an old milk jug? or would they have a **** attack?

arg.

i cant get that ****ing fan nut off.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/verymad.gif.3f39c5c2fd57527b671fad3efdfac756.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.