Warm up car??

I gots a heater or whatever its called in the engine compartment that heats it up with a single power cord. SOrry but for some reason I can't think of what its called right now.

I gots a heater or whatever its called in the engine compartment that heats it up with a single power cord. SOrry but for some reason I can't think of what its called right now.
Block heater? Being around the mechanic profession for years, There really is no need to warm it up to normal temp before driving. However, it is a bad idea to drive it like an idiot right after you start it. Wait until it reaches full temp before doing power brakes, neutral drops and so forth.

Block heater? Being around the mechanic profession for years, There really is no need to warm it up to normal temp before driving. However, it is a bad idea to drive it like an idiot right after you start it. Wait until it reaches full temp before doing power brakes, neutral drops and so forth.
this may be true for a port fuel injected car, but not so for TBI and carb'd cars. warming up the engine allows the fuel that is just being 'dumped' down the intake to vaporize and therefore permit combustion of the air/fuel mixture.

I dont think u need to warm it up if ur just gonna get in and cruise, but if ur going to be pushing it (gasing it to the max at every turn) right after u get in than I would warm it up. On my car if u dont warm it up first, u can feel when the transmission shifts and sh!tz cuse the oil isnt flowing smoothly until its warmer.

Wait at least 10 seconds before putting your vehicle into gear after starting it. This allows the oil to flow a bit to crucial areas before putting your engine under load.

If it is cold outside letting it sit for 30 seconds to one minite is a good idea before driving.

Do not drive aggressively until your car is at full operating temperature.

This is for Fuel Injected vehicles.

Ya, all you're really trying to do is get the oil pressure up to operating range and to let the oil pump move things all the way through the block.

After that's happened, you're basically good to go.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.