Volume knob on the right. Why not?

Participant count
  • Participant list

metoo
10+ year member

AL
I was just thinking the other day about today's head units sold in the US. I'm not familiar with the cars in most of the civilized world, but here driver's are on the left and thus control the source unit with their right hands. There is a lot more displayed on the the screens of head units now these days and the volume knobs are really multiple function control knobs. The problem is that the knob (or main array of control buttons) is between you and the screen. Almost inevitably, some portion of the display is blocked from view by your hand. Depending on the units position in the car relative to you eyes, the significance varies. In most cases, you have to lean over or position your hand a certain way to see around it. Having the knob on the right would completely fix this and the extra 4-5inches over would not change the reach that much.

Agree or disagree?

What if your arms arent 4-5 inches longer? Then you have to lean across the car while being off centered while driving and staring at your HU.

Some headunits don't even have a volume knob and it's all touchscreen, that's when a remote control comes in handy.

If it bothers you that much then you can remote-mount the faceplate by hardwiring the contacts and move it to wherever you want.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.