Volume drops dramatic when opening window

Participant count
  • Participant list

67mars

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello everyone,

Let me introduce myself briefly first. The name is Marcel. I live in the Netherlands. I recently acquired a 2005 Volvo V50.

My Volvo, now 18 years old, has/had some issues when I bought it. What I want to talk about now is an issue with the audio installation (waterfall). the following: If I listen to music while driving, it's fine until I open a window. At that moment the volume goes down sharply. This only happens while driving. When I'm standing still, or driving at walking pace, it doesn't bother me. Where I've found this question from someone else before, the most common response was that it would be because of the sound of the wind drowning out the radio the moment you open the window. That is not the case, the volume drops really enormously. Turning the volume up in this situation doesn't make much difference either. The only thing that happens is that the sound starts to distort. Comparable to putting cheap speakers too loud.

My impression is that something is happening somewhere in the electronics that causes this, but I can't find it yet. What may have an influence is the fact that I see a microphone in the car that belonged to a hands-free set. I would imagine if it's connected to the radio and it's constantly on, the sound of the radio will be dimmed because it thinks it's having a conversation. But before I disassemble the radio to test this by disconnecting it I would like to know if this problem is known to the visitors here. I would like to hear from you.

Greeting,

Mars

problem is known to the visitors here.
Some cars have what is known as Audio Volume Leveling (AVL). It adjusts volume automatically to compensate for ambient noise. In your case, the microphone may be damaged and causing the extreme behavior. See if there is a disable for such feature, if not, then disconnecting the microphone/s may help.

Thank you for your reply1 1aespinoza.

The microphone i was referring to doesn't strike me to be an original one belonging to the cars audioset, but more as a left over from a dismounted handsfreeset. But google just told me that in my model there just might be an original microphone in the rear mirror roof console. A little affraid of breaking stuff when disassembling delicate parts like this i'll have to collect some courage first before attempting to disconnect the mics :).

I already ran through the stereo's settings. Too bad, there's nothing there that remotely indicates something like avl.

Thanks again!

Mars

Is this a completely factory car? Or aftermarket with a full install?

The glass windows create reflections of which the tweeters likely capitalize on to actually sound louder. Think of a megaphone

As far as the midbass, opening the window often creates a gap in the top of the door that allows more airflow in the compartment that the midbass is mounted. This lowers the internal air spring effect and thus lowers mechanical power handling. That gap also lets more of the rear wave interacted with the front wave and cause cancellation.

It isn't uncommon to lose some high frequency output with the windows down and typically you actually gain in the bass region since the sub receives more cabin gain at a lower frequency

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...