Visor Monitor Cig Lighter Hardwire Possible??

frosales
10+ year member

Chicago
My friend gave me a deal on 2 brand new visor monitors. They will fit my car perfect, but there's one problem. They have cigarette lighter adapter. I don't want to mess with plugging them in and out everytime I want to use them. Does anyone have any suggestions on hard wiring these monitors? They are generic monitors called Super SP-VM7010. Thanks!!

either cut the cig adapters off and hard wire that to a 12v source or buy a multiport cig thingy and hard wire that to a 12v source and plug the monitors in there.

ok, thanks guys. One last (maybe silly) question, I've never cut a ciggarette lighter adapter off before. Inside the wire, is there just one hot wire or is there one for positive and one for negative. Thanks!

I did something similar but with the neon lights.

1. I cut off the cig adaptor

2. Got a switch so that i can turn them off and on as i please

3. I stripped the wire that went to my cig lighter, I didn't cut them so that i can still use it.

4. I bought some 18awg wire and welded it to the bare wires that power my cig lighter.

5. The other ends of the welded wires i ran to my switch.

6. The wires that powered my neons where also wired to the switch.

attachment.php

Its really easy, just remeber to double check everything before welding and do not to leave any bare wire exposed. Its a pain in the ass to have to cut and re weld b/c your didn't do a test run prior and to have to replace fuses.

Good luck

ok, thanks guys. One last (maybe silly) question, I've never cut a ciggarette lighter adapter off before. Inside the wire, is there just one hot wire or is there one for positive and one for negative. Thanks!
Make sure you don't wire them backwards. To verify, use a DMM to double check.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

frosales

10+ year member
frosales
Chicago
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from