Viper 5901

Participant count
  • Participant list

etc.
10+ year member

car audio newbie
Midwest
I've been looking in to alarms for the past couple days and come to like the Viper 5901. I was orginally looking at the Compustar but I couldnt find a good deal on internet.

This is the place I was going to get the 5901 from, anyone have any experience with them?

http://www.amazon.com/Viper-5901-Responder-Two-Way-Security/dp/B001KYZEW4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&m=A2LYDS8AIU9VMR&s=generic&qid=1249650438&sr=1-6

As far as add-ons go, are the DEI a safe bet for a good product?

Can I add a bypass to have remote start???

Tips on installing the alarm that I may not have read in past threads?

If you have any other suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them.

The 5901 is a good unit, keep in mind though that if you don't buy and have it installed by an authorized DEI dealer, you will lose warranty and Id suggest against this as these particular alarms have been known for a few issues. If you want to save and get a unit on your own and install it, go with something more bullet proof, like an older series where they worked all the kinks out (viper 5900, 791xv).

As for bypass, need make model and year.

If you want to save and get a unit on your own and install it, go with something more bullet proof, like an older series where they worked all the kinks out (viper 5900, 791xv).
Great advise!!!

Does the 5900 have the beeping/vibrating option? I can't find it mentioned in the discriptions I've read.

and not to ask too many questions... what are similar model # alarms made by DEI? Because if I can find essentially the same alarm under a different name, I'd be interested //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I'm thinking of going with

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_7927_Viper+5900+Responder+SST+VS5900.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=froogle#

or because of the free shipping

http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/viper5900respondersstvs5900.aspx

If anyone has any opinions I'd be glad to hear them!!!

I've been lookig at sensors and add-ons.

Glass sensor

Tilt

Shock

Prox

Motion

Back-up batteries

Sirens with back-up batteries- same as the backup battery, just buying a $10 siren?

Sirens

Piezos

hood pins

From what I've read I will have 4 aux out puts on a 5900.

Is it true you can run upwards of three sirens with out the use of a relay? Or just the little piezo sirens?

Can I stray away from the Directed brand to maybe something like Absolute or Omega for glass break sensors/sensors in general or not?

Directed has resolved most of the issues of the first two gens of Responder series products, The 5901 is an LC3 product and a fine piece..I love Directed products and have been installing them for over 20 years, but when the first Responder generations hit the market there were a HOST of issues! Ask any Directed installer if you don't believe me...

You probably have a resistor chip in your key, the car is fitted with a VATS system from the factory...There are several ways to bypass it, the easiest is basically just finding a matching resistor for the one in the key and wiring to a relay to work during remote start..DEI and other companies sell the resistor packs or you can pick one up at your local electronics stores..

You can safely install two sirens/piezo's on the DEI siren output, any more than that and I would install a relay...What really draws attention is hooking up the horn honk in addition to the siren(s)..I have 1 siren and piezo up front(most ppl don't use piezo's outside, but it makes for a unique sound coupled w/the siren), one siren in the rear (in case the car is not facing me), and the horn is hooked up to full alarm output only--it doesn't sound on warn-away or arm/disarm...

And PLEASE make sure not to set your system too sensitive---alarms get such a bad rap b/c some paranoid jerk sets it so sensitive that sunlight sets it off!!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/verymad.gif.3f39c5c2fd57527b671fad3efdfac756.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.