Vintage Replacement Advice needed

Participant count
  • Participant list

andy7684

MO
Hello.

I have a 76 Mercedes 450 slc and am looking to upgrade my sound system from the vintage 80's equipment a previous owner installed.

I have been doing quite a bit of research and reading here and other sites. I am hoping for opinions or ideas on what I have picked out.

Current setup:

Head Unit: Blaupunkt Tucson.

Amp: Blaupunkt CR-3001 15W x 4

Speakers: Panasonic EAB-G40 "High Power Coaxial Speaker" 2-way. 4 inch. 2 in the dash and 2 in the back shelf area behind the rear seat.

Dynamat installed on the floor pans with 1/2" closed cell foam on top.

GOALS:

Just good, enjoyable, clear sound. obviously the 4inch do not put out much base at this time. I do not need a lot of base.

I do not need it very loud, but I do have more road noise than a normal car.

It is a small coupe with small interior and lots of windows.

I own an Andriod Samsung S5. I would like to play streaming music from my spotify or pandora account. Not many MP3's. I do not listen to CD's very often.

Satellite radio: I want to keep my optoin open, but do not plan on a subscription at this time.

I do listen to some FM radio.

I do drive my car in nice weather, but not my main vehicle.

Becoming a classic car, so want to keep the stock look as much as possible. Do not want to makes holes for components, etc.

My proposed setup:

HU: Kenwood KDC-BT762HD. Chosen because of AptX bluetooth capability for streaming music. CD player. USB ports for charging phone and Music. HD Radio - only $20 more for it, so why not? Crutchfield.

AMP: Not planning to purchase new. Will use Kenwood. Was advised against using current Blaupunkt.

Speakers Front: JBL GTO429 4inch. They will go into my dash in the stock locations pointing directly toward the driver and passenger- look at pictures. I do like the sound as compared to a poineer a-series listed to at the store. Good on-line reviews also.

Speakers Rear: Stock is 4inch, but I want to increase the size. I probably need some advice here. They are mounted on a large flat shelf behind the rear seat. Would be metal fab to enlarge the hole. 4.25inch diameter and 2.25inch deep. I THINK I can add JBL GTO638 3-way speaker here. If I add 1" spacer ring, it will lift the speaker high enough to still have the magnet in the stock hole, but add room to fit speaker. This is checking dimensions from jbl.com. Newer models seem to have too large of bracing to do this. Amazon has a good deal now.

SUB: Probably not going to purchase at this time. For Future I had a recommendation on the Kicker 11HS8 compact powered sub, 8". Crutchfield or maybe somewhere else.

Does this setup sound reasonable? Any glaring mistakes or other good opinions?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for your thoughts, Keep Hope Alive. I'll probably just go ahead and get the powered sub right away and do it the right way.

I've been seeing ppl sell the old Tucson's for a few hundred bucks. One on ebay right now for $875!!!

Can hardly believe it.

btw, I've enjoyed reading through your Accord Sport SQ thread. I hope to add some of the sound deadening tips on my vehicle in the doors and back shelf/seat. I already have done the floor pans, which made a huge difference reducing road noise.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.