very little voltage output from new Amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

demarcom

NJ
I just finished my install of a Kicker 10" single sub 2ohm DVC (wired for 4 ohm) and a Cadence Xenith 400.1 mono amp (300 watts at 4 ohm). after the install the sub just doesnt sound like it has much kick. Power to the amp seems fine, and no warning lights, all green.

I checked the output with a dmm and I get very little voltage out of the speaker terminals. I downloaded a test 50hz wave file from MTX and turned the deck up pretty high and I still get very little voltage (below 1Volt) on the output of the speaker terminals.. any yes, I played with the input hz on the amp also.

I reconnected the head unit to a known good RCA out (one that was powering my Shaker 500 door subs), and same thing... Swapped out the RCA to another one, and same thing, low voltage. I can turn the gain up/down, doesnt change the voltage.

Based on my specs I would think it should put out like 31 volts to the speakers terminals when cranked up. dmm works fine becuase my battery checks out fine @ 12.5 volts with the same dmm setting.

Forgot the mention, seems I have 12-13 volts at the power side of the amp.

Right now, it's pointing to the amp or Im not doing something right... what do you guys think?

I just finished my install of a Kicker 10" single sub 2ohm DVC (wired for 4 ohm) and a Cadence Xenith 400.1 mono amp (300 watts at 4 ohm). after the install the sub just doesnt sound like it has much kick. Power to the amp seems fine, and no warning lights, all green.
I checked the output with a dmm and I get very little voltage out of the speaker terminals. I downloaded a test 50hz wave file from MTX and turned the deck up pretty high and I still get very little voltage (below 1Volt) on the output of the speaker terminals.. any yes, I played with the input hz on the amp also.

I reconnected the head unit to a known good RCA out (one that was powering my Shaker 500 door subs), and same thing... Swapped out the RCA to another one, and same thing, low voltage. I can turn the gain up/down, doesnt change the voltage.

Based on my specs I would think it should put out like 31 volts to the speakers terminals when cranked up. dmm works fine becuase my battery checks out fine @ 12.5 volts with the same dmm setting.

Forgot the mention, seems I have 12-13 volts at the power side of the amp.

Right now, it's pointing to the amp or Im not doing something right... what do you guys think?

woops just re-read it would seem you have the dmm on the wrong setting for testing the amp output the dmm needs to be on ac voltage play 50 hrtz tone and dial amp to 34v/ac good luck

if it still seems like it is not loud enuff then check your input voltage then move on to the enclosure good luck

ok, I checked the voltage with AC and when playing with the gain, I got a whopping .4 volts... so what now? I also check the inputs with a PC and RCa out with a 50hz signal. Had the sound all the way up and gain all the way up, and got .4 volts. bad amp?????

ok, I checked the voltage with AC and when playing with the gain, I got a whopping .4 volts... so what now? I also check the inputs with a PC and RCa out with a 50hz signal. Had the sound all the way up and gain all the way up, and got .4 volts. bad amp?????
Did you have the leads on the output terminals or the input? Does your amplifier actually play where you can hear the woofer? If it does, it's putting out more than .4 volts. You're just measuring something wrong.

thanks for the reply. I had the dmm leads on the speaker output terminals to the sub. I can get the sub to play somewhat, but barely audible. I also check the voltage on a home outlet and got 125v, so i think i have he meter set correctly this time.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.