User Reviews...why do these people do this?

dcyphure
10+ year member

On sites that sell audio gear, like Crutchfield. The user reviews are flat out hilarious. Anyone here ever read them?

i started reading one and after the user mentioned his mirror blew off, i ended up reading reviews for most every product crutfield had, thats how entertaining it can be, or i'm bored, whichever

short sample i found amusing.

JL audio W1v2 sub

Pure, Clean, Smooth-NO DISTORTIONWritten By , Somewhere, in America on Saturday, November 07, 2009

I can't think of one bad thing to say when JL Audio is mentioned. You simply get what you pay for, don't let RMS fool you. i had 4 of these totaling 600w RMS on a 1600w amp they took out systems with 3000w dedicated to their bass & road of beatin'
BS!!. i have W1's myself and they do distort on 600 watts. even in JL's sealed enclosure box, sound fine but not very loud sub. I kinda doubt it beats a 3000w system but whatever, i wonder how long it lasted?

Kicker L5 8"

Written by sam, MASS, on Tuesday, December 8, 2009they vibrate my seat cushions a lot! The best part about these are that they are extremely accurate, and will not distort your music like some larger subs will.
Accurate...nice for a sub thats never been considered accurate. Vibrates seats a lot...wow, now i want one.

Kicker L7 12"

Breathtaking...literally

Written by Matt, Meridian MS, on Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Basically my set up = 2 L7 12s and a 2000watt, 4 chan amp. These subs can handle whatever amp you hook them up to. I had to get big amps for my mids and highs just to hear them! These subs have succesfully made my tail light covers fall off, all mirrors cant sit still anymore, and even opens the trunk of my 91 Maxima! Try to turn the bass as low as you can, not that it will matter!!!
this sub can open your trunk, remove your tailights and mirrors? this kid needs a new car, sounds like he hit a moose and thinks that thud was his system hittn

My personal fav. Kicker L7 12"

Best sub there is

Written by Nick, Albuquerque, NM, on Thursday, September 25, 2008

I had 2 12" Type-Rs in a ported box, and I thought they slammed pretty hard. Good SQ as well, really good response time. Fast double bass in rock sounded nice and clear, not like one muddy boom. And they slammed pretty hard with extended super lowend hits. I powered them with a Kicker ZX750.1 that was tested at 940W RMS.

I replaced them with a single Kicker L7 12" and it absolutely blows them away. If you can afford L7's you won't be dissapointed, they are incredible. All my buddies who have them have blown out their windows, I'm afraid to turn mine up that loud. If you can give them a lot of power they will beat any other sub hands down. At low gain and no bass boost it is so loud it is actually hard to breathe. Not just feel it in your chest bass but can't get enough air bass.
So all his buddies have blown out their windows? did they use a baseball bat glued to the subs? I have one myself on 600 watts and still waiting for my plastic rear dash to make a rattle noise, much less blow out my window.

Best sub there is with no boost or gain and is so loud its hard to breath? Athsma attack maybe?

Theres hundreds of reviews like these, not just crutchfield but other sites too. what makes people say this for a review?

So do you guys think people buy a brand and just want it to be the best? or what

I wondered if anyone here has friends that say stuff like this? I have one that raves about Sony Xplode amps and MTX Jackhammers, never was impressed with it myself.

Awesome thread! I do read them, and yes I too laugh at most of the reviews. Alot of the time they write them like this because they like the brand or the speaker amp whatever it may be. They try to get others to get the piece of equip. I personally dont like JL, Kicker companys. Overpriced is what the equip is. Anyways it is a trip to see what other people have to say about some products. Its rare that you will find a review that is actually helpful in one's decision making when building a system or just wanting to try something new.

equally as amusing is reading comments from youtube of people showing off their systems.

The ones who say it sounds like crap. lol, guess they should buy better computer speakers before they dis someones video of speaker SQ

You see the same thing on this site. Everyone hates on mainstream equipment because it's the cool thing to do. Some brands get waaay too much love just because it's the cool thing to do. It doesn't matter if they ever tried the equipment themselves or not.

Brand loyalty is just to try to convince everyone that you didn't get the wrong thing, that in essence they are right and you could be right too if you follow in their footsteps.

BTW I've done 155.8 with my 4x Kicker L710s (which are hated on often), and I bought 3x RD 15" subs (which are hated on often also(for good reason)) today which I plan to get an even higher score with...

You see the same thing on this site. Everyone hates on mainstream equipment because it's the cool thing to do. Some brands get waaay too much love just because it's the cool thing to do. It doesn't matter if they ever tried the equipment themselves or not. Brand loyalty is just to try to convince everyone that you didn't get the wrong thing, that in essence they are right and you could be right too if you follow in their footsteps.

BTW I've done 155.8 with my 4x Kicker L710s (which are hated on often), and I bought 3x RD 15" subs (which are hated on often also(for good reason)) today which I plan to get an even higher score with...
yeah i hear ya. I actually really like the sound of my 12" L7 over my W3v3 JLAudio. Both of which get hated on cause they are mainstream. and prefer it among many other subs i have heard including the old Solobarics. Its really deep sound thats also loud. Most ones i've heard personally dont play lows as loud without well over 1000 watts. and i'm sure its far from accurate but heck i can't tell. I don't see how anyone can really tell much difference in low hz instruments inside a car with sub in a trunk. espeically in rap with synthesized low notes. Some subs do boom low notes at higher freq or have a slight after effect but from a car i could care less. But the only Fi sub i ever heard, which seems a popular brand here, i dunno but honestly it sounded like every other sub i've ever heard. I mean it wen booom, some subs just hit lower than others but they all go booom lol

To me it sounds like the L7's play the higher frequecy instruments at a deeper frequency, maybe its me or why their not accurate but i really like it like that.

But yeah, really any subs in correct box will pound. I used to have some cheap Jenson 12's in a ported box that would shake my entire house powered by an oldschool RF amp.

THose with bad experiences of blown subs...etc naturally won't like the brand if experience is limited to that. But i don't think there really is a "Wrong" brand, just a difference in quality of make and efficiency at various frequcnies. They all copy patents off each other imo. China and Tawian gets ripped on for quality but really they have some of the most soffisticated manufacturing plants on the planet. Nothing special about USA made products, i've seen the lazy workers here making cars after a night shoveling snow up their nose, dont wanna see no more. lol

My point of this thread was mainly those who flat out lie and make up stories or exaggerate...not so much the fanbois.

I just get what I like, try it out, and if I don't like it, sell it and get something else. Reviews for car audio are like reviews for home audio, different strokes for different folks. If it looks sexy and you want it, buy it and fuck what anyone else thinks. IMHO. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

I just get what I like, try it out, and if I don't like it, sell it and get something else. Reviews for car audio are like reviews for home audio, different strokes for different folks. If it looks sexy and you want it, buy it and fuck what anyone else thinks. IMHO. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
best summary of what to do imo.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.