Upgrading Factory Mach System in 2002 Ford Expedition

Participant count
  • Participant list

youthman

I just purchased a 2002 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer with Mach Audio System. The amp or sub does not work. This is my wife's car so I don't need anything to SLAM, I just need at least SOME bass. I'm guessing the Mach system has some form of Xover on the door speakers because they produce absolutely NO bass at all...NONE.

I began looking on Craigslist for some upgrades and tonight I picked a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X794 HU, Polk/Momo MMC650 Component Speakers, and an old school MTX Thunder 240 amp for $140 which I thought was a pretty good deal and definitely budget friendly.

I've ordered the Mounting Bracket for the HU but need to buy the rest of wiring. I've installed a few systems over the years but I've never had any experience with a car with "Premium Sound System"...basically a car with a factory amp and sub installed.

So here are my questions:

1. Do I need to buy the standard harness or the "Premium Harness" that is designed to go with the Mach System?

2. Should I try to use the existing speaker wires or run all new wire?

3. Any recommendations for inexpensive speaker cables? I use monoprice.com for all my Home Audio needs. Should I just buy them there?

4. I want to use the existing sub enclosure on the side wall. Any recommendations for a budget 8" sub that could go there? There is a JL 8W0 for $45 locally. I know this is JL's entry level but again, I just at least need some bass. I don't need it to set off building alarms. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif I've read that I will likely need to get a heat gun to push the "hump" inside the custom sub enclosure because most aftermarket sub's magnet hit the "hump". I will also need to patch the hole in the back of the sub enclosure. For some reason, Ford decided to put a screw into the magnet of the factory sub to help hold it in place. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Michael

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.