Underpowered?

Participant count
  • Participant list

slick327
10+ year member

Hey everyone, here is my dilema. Hopefully these two links work. http://www.mmxpress.com/kenwood/kac-729s.htm http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.asp?cat_id=4&series_id=31&family_id=9&item_id=91793&locale=en_US

Im going to cut the **** and go on and tell yall i have no idea wtf the specs mean or anything else i should probably know and dont. So please bare with me and forgive my noobness. I have been using the above amp to run the two above subs for about 4 or 5 months. They sound fine, no tech problems. My question is is the amp underpowered for the speakers? I had a buddy tell me i needed an amp that had higher RMS value but idk. should i get a larger amp to get more power? I dont want to destroy anything. The amp is wired the normal way. Left + - to sub + - and right + - to sub + -. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Under powering your subs will not hurt them as long as ur not clipping your amp. The RMS of your should be close to the combined RMSof ur subs. EX A 300 watts RMS amp will be perfect for 2 150watt RMS subs.

Ur subs match the amp perfectly. Since the subs are single 4ohm subs they should be wire parallel and bridged into one channel for optimum perfrmance. I will uploada pic to help explain.

Ok, new plan //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Im almost positive im going to get 2 Kenwood 12's KFC-W3012, 400 rms fyi. i can get em about 50 bucks a piece. Im running stock power and dont really need to go hardcore. Does Lanzar make an amp that would sufficiently run these two subs and not kill my car? Any help would be appreciated.

Edit : BTW, i've been to the Lanzar site and cannot understand the power description they offer. Any i am inquiring about Lanzar because i was told they hold up nice. but idk. If i need to be flamed then so be it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

The only "quality" products they make anymore are in the Optidrive line. Other than that it's all basic budget/entry level gear. If you want something decent just stick with opti.

For those kenwoods check out the Opts140.1d

You are slightly underpowered, but nothing to lose sleep over. The amp can create 100w RMS (average power) and your woofers can handle 150w RMS... per channel.

An extra 50 watts is significant for P-1's, but I've seen way too many of them blow, to recommend a new amp to you. If your setup is sufficient for you, enjoy it. If you need more, I'd get small amp that does slightly more than you need (300 x 1 @ 2 ohm)

If you like your Kenwood, they have an amp (Kenwood KAC-6104D) for $125 shipped at sonicelectronix, that should do you right.

If you want a Lanzar, n2Audio's right. Opti's are the only thing worth investing in. I own a Vibe series, and they work and last a long time, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone...Plus, the 1000, 1200 and 1500 Opti's are significantly more expensive than other options (for your situation).

Other options

Clarion APX1301

Kicker 08zx300.1

Jensen JPA600D

Infinity 1300a

Autotek SM1-1000

Cadence Xa300.1

Diamond D1400.1

the list can continue forever...

Out of curiosity, why are all the amps linked mono? Is there something wrong with stereo or multi channel amps? Or is it that if i just want to bump then all i need is a mono amp

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.