Uhhh ohhhh....

Phlipbak
10+ year member

CA Enthusiast
Ok.. Well I sold my ED NINe.1 to my buddy. I used it for 2 years on a pair of Ascendant Arsenal 12's. It worked fine. I had some weird noise at low volumes and thought it was the amp, but I used a kicker kx1200.1 and installed those subs and that kicker amp in my buddy's car and it did the same thing. In other words, it was a booger in the voice coil on one of the 12's, not the amp.

So.

I sell the ED NINe.1 to my friend for 175$. He gets it installed by a guy at Electronics Express. The guys wires up the 2 12" subs in the box (2 pioneers that say 2/8 with an ohm symbol next to the 8 making me believe they are dual 8 ohm or that they are dual 4 meaning they can be wired to 2 ohms or 8 ohms) and shows me their load on a DMM.. IT READS 3.1. WTF. Anyways I was like whatever (he said "o well the amp will read it as 2 ohms" ...ya...ok...) and my friend let him finish installing it.

Well, when we picked the car up the gain was pretty freaking high (I never looked at it personally, but those 400w RMS subs were hitting hard and I thought I heard a bit of distortion, plus you couldn't hear his front speakers) so I didn't have time to adjust the gain properly so I just scrolled through the HU. I found that the guy had the LOUD option on, so naturally I turned it off.

Anyways, my friend listened to this setup on his Sony HU for about two weeks.

Well, the other day he is videoing it rattle the inside of his car apart haha (with his Sony HU set to about 40, and from what I could tell there was no distortion at around 38 so 40 should have been fine) and they just stop playing. So he calls me and asked how should he fix it.

So check this out, we take out all 4 fuses on the ED NINe.1 and ALL 4 30A FUSES WERE BLOWN! Then we replaced those, still nothing. THE IN-LINE FUSE WAS BLOWN TOO!!

I realized the guy had installed a 60A fuse instead of 120A (the amp's fuse rating) so we put a 100A or 120A in there I can't remember which.

It blows as soon as we cut the car on.

I'm like WTF?! So I look at the amp. Here's the kicker.

It is mounted off the ground against the back seats, the seats don't fold down so there is a plate in the middle in the trunk on the back of the seats that extends out into the trunk a bit. The amp is hanging against that, the top two screw holes have long screws stretching from the amp through the air into the back of the seats. The bottom two are not screwed in, so basically this amp is swinging. It is pushed up against that plate, but it can still swing forward and back again.

So I swing it a bit and sure enough, it swings a bit. If he were to hit a speed bump or anything that amp would swing up against that plate.

He was driving when they cut off. I think that guy's shitty mounting job screwed up something on the amp's board.

What do you think?

(BTW he took his car back to the guy today and sure enough the guy thinks there is something wrong with the amp.. and I'm thinking "no **** but it's not cause the amp was faulty when I sold it to him!")

60778238qu4.png

Take the joke man take the joke. Its all in good humor //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Haha I thought you were being a douche!!

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/hitbybrick.gif.68a672fae224041f00769a97c2c1bf2d.gif

well here is my question.

You state that you didnt have time to Adjust the amp gain, But you did have time to mess with the HU and adjust that?

I would have left everything how it was an took it right back in to the guy and make him adjust the gain properly,

Me being how I am about stuff like this would have looked it over before paying anyone any money.

well here is my question.
You state that you didnt have time to Adjust the amp gain, But you did have time to mess with the HU and adjust that?

I would have left everything how it was an took it right back in to the guy and make him adjust the gain properly,

Me being how I am about stuff like this would have looked it over before paying anyone any money.
It wasn't my setup, wasn't about to look it over super carefully.

And we were driving it back that's why I could mess with HU. His seats don't fold down so I would have had to be in the trunk to adjust the gain on the way home.

Any other dumb questions..?

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/viking2.gif.35c13a457368016b956ccf693af31291.gif

haha i kid i kid

Fair enough.

*****, now its going to be hard to prove it was a shady install job : /.

Toss the amp at the installers head!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Phlipbak

10+ year member
CA Enthusiast
Phlipbak
Dothan, AL; Nashville, TN
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date