UH OH, what did I do?? Please Help!

Participant count
  • Participant list

JaysonR
10+ year member

Ok so this is my scenario. I was just about done completing my big 3 in 1/0 gauge(after about 5 hours of the battery disconnected) and I was putting on the final bolt by connecting back the negative terminal to my battery. So as I was tightening the last bolt, my wrench slips, touches the positive and I get a little spark and some smoke (not a lot).

Now this is my problem. Most of the time, my car starts properly. But sometimes, I need to crank the car maybe 2 or 3 times and press the gas to get the engine going or else it starts, and then the engine just dies out. I have a 1999 chevy blazer, just upgraded to a 4ga amp kit.

Does my car's starting problem have to do with my accidental slippage of + touching -, or could it be due to the fact that my big 3 is actually a big 2 because my batt - to chassis wire came out of the crimp. So I only have 2 of the big 3 connected right now, gonna have to use 4ga for my batt - to chassis since I can't find any 1/0 ga ring terminals right now.

And why do I have sone engine whine inside my car now? And it's not coming from the radio, sounds like it's from the engine. Pleae HELP!!!

somewhere.. a mechanic is calling your name. He wants to fix the short that you induced in your wiring harness throughout your car.

Seriously, you probably f-ed something up. Go get it checked out. This is something you should pay a professional to do for you.

ive had that wrench slip on me a few times... nothing bad happened to me, just that when ever i unplugh my batt for some while i need to leave the key turned for like 2-3 secs more than usual, i have a 2000 Neon.

Possibly a stuck Idle air control valve?

I dont see how shorting out the battery could cause the problem you describe.

Is the check engine light on?

stupid question: you still have the factory battery to chasis ground in place right?

well, I took out my big 3 and now my car starts perfectly fine as it did before. All I have left is my 4ga power wire to my amp and that's it. Did I do the big 3 wrong or something?

I don't see why else it would cause that kind of problem

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.