Toasty Avalanche 15 pr0n 56k beware

rogue
10+ year member

dscn0937.jpg

I had it only 2 weeks before the coils were burnt to a crisp by a friend in my absence. Apparently, he assumed that because the MP3 he was playing was louder than the rest, it was OK to turn it up even LOUDER. My guess is that he clipped the hell out of the amp.

All is well, I just sent it in for a recone. I only hope that Chad can get around to the recone with all the phone calls he's been getting. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Setup is a Xtant 1001dx, OEM Chrysler 300C NAV head unit, 2.6cu ft Sealed enclosure.

The Avalanche replaced my Brahma 15". I am SEVERELY impressed with the Avalanche 15 on every level. The low frequencies were impressive. fast double kickdrums supertight, and most of my friends are now on the Avalanche Bandwagon themselves. It simply sounds that good in person.

My friend said he didn't hear anything out of the ordinary until it simply stopped playing.

I'm subless for a bit. My friend's paying for the recone and a dinner. Live and learn I guess. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crying.gif.ec0ebefe590df0251476573bc49e46d8.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

On with the pix.

dscn0935.jpg

dscn0927.jpg

so...your sure you didnt just break the lead and perhaps have it wired in series?
You can't really tell by the photos, but the coil is unraveled, the spider is seperated and crunchy toasty, and tinsel leads changed color they got so hot. They are now brittle and the slightest movement causes them to snap. I've never seen a sub damaged this bad!

It was wired to 1ohm parallel.

And yes, its gonna be a STEAK dinner. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/yumyum.gif.0556df42231b304b9c995aefd13928a8.gif Flemmings here I come. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

hmm im kinda surprised.. i mean a sub that can take almost 3000 rms for a long period of time.. (probably should be rated at 2kwrms) blew off of a clipped 1000 watts?

usually if youre only giving a sub half of the power its rated for clipping wont blow it, or so i was informed.

also, if you set the gains properly, then how could it have clipped so bad? granted you may get a bad signal from a head unit in the top range of its volume but this shoudlnt be enough to blow a sub alone. are you sure youre aware of the voltage comign out of the OEM head unit? im assuming you have to have a LOC to run the sub?

oh well.. i could be wrong.. im just surprised that the sub blew liek that.

oh yeah and also, ive heard from a couple different people that you cant herar a THING until the sub just explodes. its so distorsion free that until it starts moving pretty far (non-linear) you cant hear any "problem sounds"

good luck.. hope the recone doesnt take forever and hope the steak is awesome hah

no matter how power full the clipped signal, it doesn't allow for proper heat dissapation.

so in theory you could blow a 2000wrms sub of a clipped 200w //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

hmm im kinda surprised.. i mean a sub that can take almost 3000 rms for a long period of time.. (probably should be rated at 2kwrms) blew off of a clipped 1000 watts?
usually if youre only giving a sub half of the power its rated for clipping wont blow it, or so i was informed.

also, if you set the gains properly, then how could it have clipped so bad? granted you may get a bad signal from a head unit in the top range of its volume but this shoudlnt be enough to blow a sub alone. are you sure youre aware of the voltage comign out of the OEM head unit? im assuming you have to have a LOC to run the sub?

oh well.. i could be wrong.. im just surprised that the sub blew liek that.

oh yeah and also, ive heard from a couple different people that you cant herar a THING until the sub just explodes. its so distorsion free that until it starts moving pretty far (non-linear) you cant hear any "problem sounds"

good luck.. hope the recone doesnt take forever and hope the steak is awesome hah
are you saying it can take 2k of watts daily?

Clipping doubles your amps rated power. That extra power is what kills speakers.
its the dc voltage, that doesn't allow for proper cooling that melts the vc's //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

rogue

10+ year member
rogue
Los Angeles CA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from