to small of a box

Mechanically, yes.
you been giving me good advice i was gona pm you to see if i could give you a call for a few min lol. im in the market for a new amp etc i just got back in and i was like yea my box is to small. i have my battery back there as well but i wana get some more power to my subs. ***** cuz my high's cant even keep up the bass is making it hard to hear anything lol. anyways so its not fair fetched to think 1600-1800 with out bad voltage drop is out of the question? im allways around the 1200 rms range i wana see what i can do with 1500-2000 with stock alt 4ga wire 100 ah and grounds done under my hood with 1/0 and 2 ga.

for the most part with a box that is ported u can go a tad bigger to get away with less power. i have done this befor but in my case i have 4 12s in a box that is a to small lets say about 1 and half feet to small. each sub is rated at 300 rms i wana know is it out of the question to THINK that each sub could see more then the rated power cuz of the smaller box? i know for the most part most subs can take more power then what there rated at but i dont know alot about the subs i got othere then talkin wth the guys from ID and i was told 400 rms to each sub is not out of the question . i just wana make sure its not gona b a issue do to the small box.

You have a lot more flexibility with a sealed box before you really mess up the sound. If you're reaching the subs limits in the big box, the only thing that going with a smaller box will give you is a smaller box. The extra power isn't going to make it any louder.

If you're reaching the subs limits in the big box, the only thing that going with a smaller box will give you is a smaller box. The extra power isn't going to make it any louder.
uhhh...hasn't this been proven to not be the case in the spl world. Granted, it's done at a frequency close to tuning.

well would there b a major diff going with rate 1200 to the 1400 i wana send to the 4? how about 1600 thats 100 rms over each subs 300? im gona use a dmm to set the gain or get some help from some local guys.

uhhh...hasn't this been proven to not be the case in the spl world. Granted, it's done at a frequency close to tuning.
Apples and oranges. The mechanical limit of concern in a sealed box is the Xmech. The mechanical limit of concern in an SPL ported system is the actual integrity of the cone and not excursion related at all. The question was about a sealed box where output is entirely determined by cone displacement. If the displacement limit is reached, nothing will increase output further. In a ported system the additional power where cone movement is already minimal actually does increase the output by increasing the movement of the cone some and greatly increasing the energy in the port. Excursion limits never come into play.

Apples and oranges. The mechanical limit of concern in a sealed box is the Xmech. The mechanical limit of concern in an SPL ported system is the actual integrity of the cone and not excursion related at all. The question was about a sealed box where output is entirely determined by cone displacement. If the displacement limit is reached, nothing will increase output further. In a ported system the additional power where cone movement is already minimal actually does increase the output by increasing the movement of the cone some and greatly increasing the energy in the port. Excursion limits never come into play.
I forgot about that.

In a ported system the additional power where cone movement is already minimal actually does increase the output by increasing the movement of the cone some and greatly increasing the energy in the port. Excursion limits never come into play.
What if the port is too small or inefficient? will you get more excursion than a box with a better designed port?

What if the port is too small or inefficient? will you get more excursion than a box with a better designed port?
almost always honestly. Very few SPL competitors use big enough ports lol. That's part of why you always see people who have like a single 8 or a 12 putting up 150's tend to have VERY big ports. Big enough that when people do say 4 12's, they dont' have nearly as much port area/cone area ratio simply due to a lack of space. Port size and effeciency is very important. Personally I use passive radiators for this reason, no way to fit enough port area and box size in my trunk, especially not if I wanted to tune somwhat low.

If ports get big enough, they begin to stop acting like a tradional port and begin to act more like a horn in terms of reactively loading the speaker. For SPL this is generally a good thing, very hard to have too much port area.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.