to my jl peeps

nawgee
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Valencia
one simple question, ported or sealed. i got bored one day and decided to REALLY blast my system after getting out of my friend's car. he's running two 12" pioneer subs in a ported box. his system sounds like crap, but i really like the loudness of his music (well im picturing it with my clarity hehe). well anyway im listening to music and i notice that my bass is mostly in the back (no bass in the front whatsoever) and I dont like the fact that i cant really feel the punch of my sub. i have 4 3way speakers that are pioneer pushed by a four channel alpine amp, and a 500/1 mono amp and a single 10w7. ive heard single w7s in other cars, and it sounded amazing! what do you guys think i should do?

Hey man, I have tried a lot of different boxes with the JL 12w7, a cheap 1.65 cu ft. Sound ordinance, a cheap groundshaker 1.75 cu ft ported and now I have around a 1.9 to 2.0 cu ft ported box that was around $120, not so sure of the brand though. Let me say, even with the crappy ported box it was loud, then the sealed box made it really tight and loud, but I really wanted a double front baffle atleast an inch thick so I got the high quality ported box, and it made a huge difference. The importance of me rambling about all this brings me to say this, if you get the right ported box and it is well built, then your sub is still gonna be tight, and loud as hell. Some people might say that the JL is an SPL sub, and I completely disagree, I think it is a SQL sub all the way. I would recommend ported if you are trying to get loud, and if it is a little too loud turn the gain down a little. I have mine in an explorer and it bumps pretty hard even with a pretty crappy amp, I'm sure if you're running the 10w7 with a ported box you'll do just fine filling out your car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

nawgee

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
nawgee
Valencia
Start date
Participants
Who Replied