tinsel slap - can it cause damage?

pwnt by pat
10+ year member

Pat for Prez 2024 - vote!
Pa
Well, I got done installing my friends xxx 18 (took a DMM to it and it turns out it's quad .7ohm as opposed to quad 1.4) on a re 35.1. Anyway, one of the leads was fixed but stood up a little high. I doubted it would be a problem and underestimated the xxx.... Long story short, he has hella-tinsel slap. It's only notticable in the trunk and not in the car. If there isn't any problems assiciated with having it, we're just going to leave it that way.

So, is there any risk to the speaker from tinsel slap?

Lead that goes from the connector on the basket to the cone which connects to the voice coil. Slap is the act of the wire lead "slapping" the cone, basket or spider" makeing an annoying sound.

Def. be worth the time to call 'em up, is it pretty normal with those subs?

I'm sure they'd be more willing to replace a speaker if you tell them you're having the problem now than asking them to replace a destroyed one.

I really don't want to give it up //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif quad .7ohm (took a dmm to it) with an MT dust cap. Pretty woofer.

It's just something I'll take care of. No reason to spend hella-cash to ship it to RE when I can resodder the two long wires to the length of all the rest...

yeah but if you don't do a good job it will break during it's excursion...

edit: well at least if we're talking about tensil leads here... im confused now what is 'tensil slap'? i misread the thread title

this is what you need to do, i did it to my xxx15 after talking to re extensively about hwo to do it.

-get some very very very flexible wire that is as close to the gauge as the tensil wire as possible (or just do what i did and order a long piece of that specific wire from RE directly).

- cut the wire very very close to the cone leaveing only about a millimeter or 2 free

- sodder the new wire there

- use any type of high temperature handleing epoxy and glue the whole new sodder point to the cone right. the wire should protrude out of the new connection very very close to the same place and direction it would be if it was brand new.

- get the length just right and sodder thwe other end to thwe terminal. make sure the length is right....too short itll snap again...too long itll snap again after hitting the cone and spider enough times.

as long as the new wire doesnt rub against the spider and cone enough to where its making a noticable noise at full excursion, you should be fine. test the sub free air for a while to make sure the connection is good and not popping off anytime soon. just dont go too crazy with it free air.

- take 2 of these and call me in the mourning

-Jay

The previous wire that was "fixed" is actually about 1/4-1/2" longer than the rest so I will just cut the leads down to the length of the others and try that.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.