This may be a really dumb question but how does power make subs louder?

Participant count
  • Participant list

carter1010
10+ year member

I was thinking about power and how it relates to subwoofer volume. Say you have 500 watts of power going to a sub and you can bottom it out with that if you wanted to, but the sub is rated at 1000 RMS. If you put the actual power to it, you would I assume bottom it out quicker and have less gain with the 1000 watt amp. So does power just deliver more mechanical movement or is there another part to the equation I am not thinking about.

Say you have 500 watts of power going to a sub and you can bottom it out with that if you wanted to
This isn't due to the amount of power being sent to the speaker. It can be due to an improper box/tunning, or if the amplifier is being over driven and sending a clipped signal to the speaker. Over driving an amp will produce more power but at the cost of equipment failure.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.