This Isn't Home Theater Anymore - Build My Car System with $750-$1000 Budget

SydBarrett

Hi, all. I've always loved home theater, but am now deciding why should my car sound suffer with factory stuff. I'm so new to car audio and need some guidance. Looking for quality sound with added bass (but not over bassy), something simple that sounds good and is a big upgrade over factory with a limited budget. Not looking for a show-stopper system or anything too fancy/extensive.

2012 Dodge Challenger SXT

Here's my original thoughts, would greatly appreciate your input/recommendations:

- Pioneer or JVC double din head unit

- Alpine 4-channel amp

- Dedicated sub amp

- 1 sub - ported or sealed? also, i won't be having a box custom made, etc., would just buy off shelf

- Front and Rear speakers - what are component speakers by the way?

- Wiring

- Installation - this is the big one, I'm in Atlanta and have no idea besides best buy where I could get solid installation at a great price with warranty, customer service, etc.

- No sound deadening as of yet

- Pioneer on the head unit

- Okay, but better for less can be had

- Good idea. Or, a 5 channel would be convenient

- Ported, custom built box

- Component speakers have separate midwoofer and tweeter combos with a passive crossover. Some have midwoofer, midrange and tweeter

- Avoid anything less than 40.00 for a 4g kit

- Do some due diligence, there are shops in Atlanta

- More important than changing speakers. Might as well leave factory speakers if you won't deaden the doors.

I would run pioneer over JVC, but that's just personal preference. Alpine makes some good stuff. Don't see any reason why not to run them. I would recommend a decent 8" sub in a ported box. That would give you plenty of output and not too big of an enclosure.

And components are speakers that have the mid bass driver and tweeter separate. A coaxial on the other hand has the tweeter built onto the midbass. And usually the components come with a separate crossover

Installation means everything. You could go way over your budget and have it all installed incorrectly and be very disappointed. I would do tons of reading and install it yourself.

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 AM ----------

- Pioneer on the head unit- Okay, but better for less can be had

- Good idea. Or, a 5 channel would be convenient

- Ported, custom built box

- Component speakers have separate midwoofer and tweeter combos with a passive crossover. Some have midwoofer, midrange and tweeter

- Avoid anything less than 40.00 for a 4g kit

- Do some due diligence, there are shops in Atlanta

- More important than changing speakers. Might as well leave factory speakers if you won't deaden the doors.
Hahaha you beat me to it

↑↑ Don't listen to him... he's crazy. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

But seriously, here is a shop not too far from Atlanta, in case you're not interested in doing your own installation....

STRAIGHT DROP AUDIO & ALARMS

5900 Maxham Rd #17

Austell, GA, 30168

770-873-2096

Interesting, I'll check them out. I'm assuming to stay away from CarTunes, Sound Sensations, etc. as well.

I'll definitely reconsider the sound deadening.

So what 5-channel amp, subwoofer and speakers would you recommend? Saw a nice kenwood amp on amazon for $200, have seen polk or kenwood subs in the $100 range, haven't researched the speakers yet. Obviously, I know these names, but, say, Precision Power for amps for example seems to come up pretty frequently on these boards as well. If there's better options at lower price points not named kenwood, alpine, rockford, etc., please let me know. (kind of like how emptek, htd, ascend, etc. are well-known for good budget performance in home theater but most people probably have never heard about them).

Check the mopar forums. You could find some factory sub upgrades. I believe the SRT's use kicker, not saying it's the premo cream of the crop but might make you happy. Friends srt jeep has the kicker subs and does not sound bad for a factory option.

Interesting, I'll check them out. I'm assuming to stay away from CarTunes, Sound Sensations, etc. as well.
I have a customer who had speakers and JBL MS-8 installed by Sound Sensations in Marietta. They did a good job. They would need to be checked out, but don't count them out just yet.

Hi, all. I've always loved home theater, but am now deciding why should my car sound suffer with factory stuff. I'm so new to car audio and need some guidance. Looking for quality sound with added bass (but not over bassy), something simple that sounds good and is a big upgrade over factory with a limited budget. Not looking for a show-stopper system or anything too fancy/extensive.
2012 Dodge Challenger SXT

Here's my original thoughts, would greatly appreciate your input/recommendations:

- Pioneer or JVC double din head unit

- Alpine 4-channel amp

- Dedicated sub amp

- 1 sub - ported or sealed? also, i won't be having a box custom made, etc., would just buy off shelf

- Front and Rear speakers - what are component speakers by the way?

- Wiring

- Installation - this is the big one, I'm in Atlanta and have no idea besides best buy where I could get solid installation at a great price with warranty, customer service, etc.

- No sound deadening as of yet
Im also a beginner and the best thing I did with my system is ,actually replaced my double din Pioneer 2 year old low voltage dvd player touchscreen cheap *** headunit, with a 6 year old Pioneer high voltage headunit with 3 way crossovers ,16 band eq, and time alignment. .. what a difference. ... With the low voltage touchscreen I hated the sound....after put in a good unit I couldn't believe the difference

So im telling you get a high end headunit because it makes an amazing difference. Something like Pioneer 80 prs.

All good discussion guys, thanks. Does anyone else have any more input on low cost 5 channel amps, a good 8" to 10" subwoofer that i can buy premade, speakers, etc? Seems from my reading theres lots of better, lower cost options out there besides the the more well known names. Basically if i gave you $750, what would you get for me? (The other $$ would go to installation)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.