Thinkin about switching to 12's

Participant count
  • Participant list

jdawg90
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
alberta
I have a 18" Fi BL on a zx1500.1 (birthsheet says 1755) and am thinking about switching to 2 12" Q's.

How do you think the Q's would compare in spl and sq?

Any suggestions for a pair of 12's that will get loud off of 800 each?

What about 2 15" Q's sealed?

I'm trying to save some space and gain a little sound quality, but getting loud is still important.

The 12s would probably sound cleaner due to less excursion for a given amount of power for the pair compared to the single 18. You'll be giving up some cone area so it won't be as loud, but it isn't going to be enough to be clearly audible though with less power goingto each coil you could keep power compression down which would make up some, if not all, of the difference.

The 12s would probably sound cleaner due to less excursion for a given amount of power for the pair compared to the single 18. You'll be giving up some cone area so it won't be as loud, but it isn't going to be enough to be clearly audible though with less power goingto each coil you could keep power compression down which would make up some, if not all, of the difference.
you dont think 12's would be louder? I was thinking they would be due to 2 subs at lower power being more efficient than one with more power...

Im not gonna go with BL's though because they are very power hungry

Cone area is going to be a bigger factor than power. The 18 just has more cone. But like I said, you'll save some power compression, but probably not enough to fully compensate for the difference in cone area. The difference in output will be less than what the cone area difference would produce but there will still be a difference. Not likely that you'll notice.

idk what i am going to do. I liked the SSD's but i was looking at the great 12" challenge at realm of excursion and the 12" Q on 1000w was a solid 2db higher than a 12" ssd on 900.

I could always go with 2 15's ported... id still save some space if i gave them3cubes each

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.