The Vibrator

There is such a thing as too much tho. Putting them so close can cause damage to the panels and destroy the box as well. I typically space 4-6" apart depending on the size of the panel etc... And here I thought I was maybe excessive? LOL

When Building my boxes I use biscuit joints. Biscuit joints are a little tricky, but they hold better than glue, nails, screws, loc-tite, or any other fasteners i've ever seen.

To make a biscuit joint first use a special $30 tool called a biscuit cutter to cut 2"X1/4" slots along the mating edges of the wood, one cut every 4".

Next you fill the slots with wood glue, the glue is part to hold and part to cause the biscuits to expand.

Now place biscuits (little pieces of special wood designed to fit in the slots), into the slots on one side of the joint.

Place the two pieces of wood together and continue doing this for all joints, then clamp it all together. In about 25-30 minutes you'll have a joint that Sampson couldn't pull apart.

No screws, or nails are needed. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

The whole job only costs a few pennies in the end (not counting the cutter) and will hold better than screws.

What happens is when the biscuits come into contact with tyhe glue they start to expand, after they've filled the slot you cut earlier they put pressure onto the wood around the slot. makes a very solid joint. to see a good example of how this works, take a piece of 1/4" wood and clamp some visegrips onto itas hard as you can, now try to pull the wood out of the visegrips, not gona happen very easily. same principle.

Originally posted by Alaxan There is such a thing as too much tho. Putting them so close can cause damage to the panels and destroy the box as well. I typically space 4-6" apart depending on the size of the panel etc... And here I thought I was maybe excessive? LOL

If you pre drill the screw holes it will not damage the mdf. It may be excessive for a 5 pound subwoofer, but if the box was for 3 12 w7s it wouldn't be.

Originally posted by indosia  

If you pre drill the screw holes it will not damage the mdf. It may be excessive for a 5 pound subwoofer, but if the box was for 3 12 w7s it wouldn't be.
Yeah I get the point there, but every inch? I still say just a bit in excess but hey to each their own. I just know a box for 3-4 subs that already weigh in at **** near 40lbs a piece why not add in an extra 5lbs of screws? LOL I have found tho that with the liquid nails and screws set in either 4 or 6" apart it should hold very well.

I should have said 1.5 inches apart. The idea is to make the box virtually indestructable. Givin enough power a poorly built box can actually explode in your ride.

Oh yeah I know this all too well. I was actually at a show in 96 where some jack ass had put his box together with Silicon caulk and nails and hoped it would hold. If I remember right he had 3 JL w6's and spent a lot of time and money on the system. He went to crank it and the top of the box popped right off. Of course as far as the spacing on the screws etc.....I also somewhat measure it based off of if it is going to be a badnpass design or ported or sealed. WHile most I build are sealed and I do use more screws, when I build a ported or bandpass enclosure it is spaced a bit further as the internal pressure of the box is not nearly as high.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

snap08

snap08
Canada
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
Alaxan