The price of a watt

Participant count
  • Participant list
better off looking at the whole picture, because its not just the amp that costs money when you get above ~1.5k rms...

go even deeper than that and you'll see the same amp be significantly louder depending on available power.. i.e. adding a cap bank made a big difference for me

I try to stay around $200 per 500 watts. That gets you a good product without the audiofool BS fluff
you can ignore this if you're not a SQ fanboy and talking about subwoofer amplifiers

better off looking at the whole picture, because its not just the amp that costs money when you get above ~1.5k rms...
go even deeper than that and you'll see the same amp be significantly louder depending on available power.. i.e. adding a cap bank made a big difference for me

you can ignore this if you're not a SQ fanboy and talking about subwoofer amplifiers
That will get you piece that's efficient, long lasting, good resale.

Back before the turn of the century, a dollar got you a high quality, strong, good sounding watt.

What can you get nowadays?
Even the really nice full range amps with state-of-the-art technology can be had for 50-60 cents per watt or less these days. I love my Zed amps and even at MSRP they're priced around that. Higher quality mainstream brands run about that price point as well. You can still pay a buck a watt for snobophile brand names but beyond 50-60 cents a watt price point you're just buying bragging rights.

You'll be paying about 50 cents per watt on Korean Class D amps as well once you figure in battery and other electrical upgrades to feed them. You can get a 5000W amp for around a grand, but you'll want to drop another 1000$ on batteries and/or upgrade alternator to power them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.