Tell me what you think of this Head/Amp/Speaker/Sub combo

Participant count
  • Participant list

West

Banned
After a bunch of helpful suggestions from people on this forum, I finally ordered the speakers and wiring for my new build.

The head unit - Pioneer AVIC-X930BT (Would have switched this for the Pioneer 4300 series, but it was $100 to RMA :/ I hope the 2V RCA's won't give me noise, but the others on here said it should be pretty solid.)

The amp - Alpine PDX-5 (4 channel 75W x 4 @ 4 ohms and 300 W mono sub @ 4 ohms)

The front speakers - Component Focal Performance PS 165 (80W RMS) (Yes I am going to elevate the tweeter //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif)

The rear speakers - Focal Performance PS 165 (80W RMS)

The sub - Alpine Type R - Alpine SWR-1243D 12" (300-600 RMS)

Cables etc.

Krystal Cable Subwoofer RCA 8 Meter / Absolute MSHF-12 Single 12" Sealed MDF Enclosure

Krystal Kable 4 Channel 6M Twisted Pair RCA Cable

Karma SS 8 Gauge Speaker Wire

What do you guys think?

I love classic rock, I hope I will have some crystal clear sound here...

Looks pretty solid man! I just heard some Focal 4" with the tweets at Car Toys here in Tulsa. Unbelievable! Good stuff.... You should have some SQ goodness going on there.

Thanks DoesDad! I'm really excited about it. Do you think a noobie could pop this in myself? I'm pretty good with assembling computers, but havent had any experience with car audio...

Oh yeah. You should be able to do it. If you run into problems there's help on here, Youtube and other sources. Installing the Focals will probably be the biggest pain. Component speakers never fit! Lol! Seems like they almost do it on purpose. Where are you going to be putting the tweets? ear level? Like between the dash and roof?

Generally looks pretty solid, I do agree with Flip about the speaker wire but I imagine the cost difference there is not too bad so if you want it go for it.
At first I was just thinking about the lack of flexibility of lower gauge wire, but the knu stuff is probably flexible enough, at least with my experience. I was also thinking it may get in the way when trying to connect to the crossover and amp. I don't think either are designed for such wire. It's nothing that can't be worked around though. I'd much rather this than people trying to cheap out and cut corners.

Its going in an beater Camry (have a loong drive to work every day) The stock tweeters are located opposite the rear view mirrors and have a triangular mounting... I may have to make something out of wood to make them sit properly :/

AWESOME!!
Its Sleepy Hollow Road (behind Capton Toms BBQ well sorta)

Everything should be in by next weekend, would gladly give you a 100$ to tell me what to do.

jstankov@utk.edu

I stay close to MTSU....you know, that other school. If you want to drive out here and the weather is nice, I'll show you for free.

---------- Post added at 07:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

First install take your time and double check things. It's not that hard, and there are plenty of people to get advice from.
So this...especially the connections to the amp. That is my biggest noob folly and not looking at the connections and all ???????? when the fuses keep blowing.

At first I was just thinking about the lack of flexibility of lower gauge wire, but the knu stuff is probably flexible enough, at least with my experience. I was also thinking it may get in the way when trying to connect to the crossover and amp. I don't think either are designed for such wire. It's nothing that can't be worked around though. I'd much rather this than people trying to cheap out and cut corners.
Yeah, if the 8 gauge is for the components I definitely agree with you. Even 12 is overkill for 75w, hell I used 12g for my sub on ~1000w

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.