Tell me if I'm correct about ohms

Participant count
  • Participant list

95lincdog

Senior VIP Member
Ok so 4 ohm dvc speakers wired in parallel brings it to 2 ohms correct? If I have 2 subs in a box wired like that, then the left speaker (outside of the box) wired to the right speaker (outside of the box) then one speaker wire from there to to amp will make it all 1 ohm?

Ok so 4 ohm dvc speakers wired in parallel brings it to 2 ohms correct? If I have 2 subs in a box wired like that, then the left speaker (outside of the box) wired to the right speaker (outside of the box) then one speaker wire from there to to amp will make it all 1 ohm?
Yes. You should double check your wiring with a multimeter to make sure you're at 1.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutch...subwoofer_wiring/2-DVC-4-ohm-mono-low-imp.jpg

Here's the diagram you want.

However, once you throw a box into the mix it becomes harder to visualize.

Basically you'll want to wire every positive together and every negative together. That'll wire both your coils and subs in parallel.

Check out this thread: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/wiring-electrical-installation-help/611324-wiring-question-subwoofer-amplifier-if-enclosure-has-divided-sections-sub.html#post8645886. In it we were wiring two SVC subs together, but we illustrate there are several ways to wire a box with terminals to the amp to ultimately achieve the same thing.

And like CSCStang suggested, checking it with a DMM definitely couldn't hurt, especially if you're not sure. They're extremely useful and dirt cheap, especially compared to the cost of replacing damaged gear.

Here is real simple formula.

Series, just add the ohm rating.

2 4ohm coils equal 8ohms.

Parallel, divide the number of coils INTO the ohm rating.

2 4ohm coils, 2ohms parallel.

The formula is that simple.

If doing both, split the steps up and the same formula applies.

Let's say you had 8 4ohm DVC coils but wiring in series or parallel ONLY is too extreme of a load.

Series them all-

16 4 ohm coils is 64ohms series.

Parallel the EIGHT connections= 8ohms.

Cool thanks yo. Sorry I didn't get back here sooner. Yea my amp wasn't taking the 1 ohm. Got new amps. With questions, here comes a new thread. I appreciate everyones help

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.