Taming JL XR650s

Participant count
  • Participant list

mp3weenie

FL
Hi I am looking for some input on taming the high-end of the 650s. Since my tweeters are mounted in the window, I have my c/o set to -4.5dB for the highs. My system sounds very good but the "ssss" sound in vocals can be very harsh at louder volumes and I am wondering what options I have to improve my sound to my ears. Here are some things I am thinking about:

1) Replacing the Alpine F450 (4x75) with JL 300/4, maybe a cleaner amp would help? I am guessing it wouldn't hurt ;>

2) Use some sort of inline filter/pad for the tweeters

3) Since my JVC head unit does not provide EQ in mulitchannel mode (this is the biggest drawback to this unit), add an external equalizer although I have not looked into the cost, but it would have to be at least 4 channels though

4) Go with other components... head unit with eq, replacement tweeters, replace components all together

5) Sacrafice a chicken... etc.

Here is my setup:

JVC AVX2 (used mostly for surround music, DTS/DVD-Audio music)

JL XR650CSi (front kick panel mids, window tweet), XR650CXi speakers (rear deck)

Alpine F450 (4x75, ~80Hz c/o)

Alpine Amp, Infinity Sub

Thanks in advance. Jay

the amp won't fix a problem caused by the tweeter...

that said, you need filtering of some sort... i'd just go all out and grab an outboard processer like the rockford 3sixty.2 or JL h701...

Re-aiming your tweeters if possible may help.

A cheap solution may be to try some EQ around 5-10 kHz. That is where sibilance (the essss sounds) typically exists.

Thanks for the input. I will wait to get an external processor that has auto eq like the soon to be JBL MS-8 (FIX8) or the Alpine H650. Unfortunately I do not trust myself to do the eq manually like some of the existing units (360.2/DPQ). I am convinced that this will be the best single upgrade for my system in my case. In addition it will solve some bass management and downmixing problems I have with the AVX2. I will post on my experience hopefully early next year.

auto eq wont' fix your problem, auto- eq's are garbage. If you know what's wrong get a EQ and fix it youself, or maybe fix your biggest problem, which is your speaker mounting location. An EQ is only going to bandaid your bad install.

T3mpest,

I assume you referring to my tweeter location? What would you recommend, maybe swap out the comps with coaxs like my CXis in the rear?

Also why would an auto-eq not fix the problem? What I read is that these "NEW" auto-eq units correct frequency response, time alignment, etc. based on hundreds of listening position mearuements... I am sure my ear can not do it as well.

Thanks.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

mp3weenie

mp3weenie
FL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
mp3weenie