Suzuki Grand Vitara needs system!

Participant count
  • Participant list

lenron
10+ year member

Ok kids I need some advice. Get yer brains out...

The wife and I just bought a used 2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara. We already have a 1998 Mustang GT converible, with vented box with two 10's in da trunk and whatnot etc etc, as some of you may alreadty know. Sounds decent. Anyway, now we have this Suzuki, and we have two things to consider:

1.) the stock CD player keeps telling you an "E6" error when you insert a CD. The instruction manual says "E6" means, basically, that the CD must be damaged or that the CD was put in upside down. I assure you, we tried many CD's and I am fairly capable of putting a CD in a CD player. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif The guy we bought the car from said he was told it was a "moisture on the player" error. The manual, again, doesn't say that - so who knows. He said it hadn't worked in a year or two. So question #1: until a new system can be installed (we have to save some cash) what can I do to fix this **** stock player? I hate the radio.

2.) Can anyone make some suggestions for us as to what kind of system to install in a Grand Vitara? Keep in mind we have a tight budget, maybe somewhere between $500-$600. But since I am not nearly expert enough in car audio to walk into a store and buy exactly what's best, I am at the mercy of sales people's babble. So you guys gimme some good suggestions for a head unti, amp, and speakers (brand, size, price, etc if you can). I hate sales people. Ok, really, I hate sales people from commercialized electronics stores (Best Buy, Circuit City, etc). I've never had a good experience with one. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Please advise !!!

And thanks.

*Bump for ya*

What are you looking for in a system. Are you looking for a complete system or just bass? SQ or SPL? If you are building a complete system, I would probably go online and spend ~150 on an entry level HU from Eclipse, Pioneer or Alpine, ~150 on a decent set of components for the front, forget rear speakers, ~100 for a cheap 4-channel amp, ~100 for a sub, and build your own box. Wire the front channels of the amp to the components and bridge the rear channels to the sub.

Hey thanks! Good, sound advice. *taking notes*

Yeah, SQ is the goal here, for sure. One day I'll make a system for whatever car I own at the time that is SPL-intensive. And the wife mainly drives this new car and she wants SQ anyway.

Thanks again! Keep em comin'...

*Bump for ya*
What are you looking for in a system. Are you looking for a complete system or just bass? SQ or SPL? If you are building a complete system, I would probably go online and spend ~150 on an entry level HU from Eclipse, Pioneer or Alpine, ~150 on a decent set of components for the front, forget rear speakers, ~100 for a cheap 4-channel amp, ~100 for a sub, and build your own box. Wire the front channels of the amp to the components and bridge the rear channels to the sub.
I completely agree with you... wow I never agree with anyone!

4 channel amp is a great way to go on a budget. Don't forget proper wiring and such, which will likely be somewhere around 50 bux.

If you are handy on ebay, you can find a good 4 channel amp (checkout refurbs) and a good set of comps (get lucky //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif ) for realy cheap. A shiva would likely be the perfect match here.

Well, for a HU I would personally go with the Eclipse 3414, but it would probably come close to $200 shipped on eBay, if that's a little much I'd probably get one of the low end Pioneer Premiers which can be had for about $150 shipped.

For a decent cheap amp, I'd look at JBL, Soundstream, or Profile maybe. You can get a 50x4 4-channel JBL for about $100 on eBay.

For a sub, I would look at the Alpine Type R, Infinity Kappa, Image Dynamics ID, Adire Shiva, the new lower model Eclipse Aluminums, or maybe a Resonant Engineering RE series. The Type R is a good deal, the Kappa had great SQ but doesn't get too loud, the Shiva and ID might be a little much but are awesome drivers. I've haven't heard the new Aluminums and they might be a little much, but the higher models sounded real nice, and I've never heard a RE sub, so I can't comment on those.

For components, I'd look at Type Rs, Kappas, Diamond M3s, and MB Quart Reference, all good sounding speakers I've heard. Also Focals low end, RE comps and CDTs, I haven't heard them, but I have heard some great things about them.

Hope this helps, and never listen to car audio salespeople from electronics stores, they'll say anything to get you to give them money.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

lenron

10+ year member
lenron
Houston, TX
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from