Sundown SD3-10 upgrade?

Participant count
  • Participants list

tonksie93

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi, i have 2 sundown sd3-10’s and i’m running them with a touch over 1000wrms. These subs work perfect for me as space is tight and i can only use 2 small sealed 10inch enclosures. 

The only thing is my amp powering them can output 2000wrms, just wondering if there is any subs similar to the sd3-10 in terms of mounting depth and enclosure preferences but can handle 1000wrms EACH?

I have the subs wired to 1 ohm, at that impedance my amp puts out 2300wrms if i remember correctly. I have set the gains for 1000wrms with a little bit of headroom. Once i get near full volume i can hear them start to distort. Hence why i am looking for subs with a higher power handling.

I have the subs wired to 1 ohm, at that impedance my amp puts out 2300wrms if i remember correctly. I have set the gains for 1000wrms with a little bit of headroom. Once i get near full volume i can hear them start to distort. Hence why i am looking for subs with a higher power handling.
if they distort its your amp running out of juice.   If they bottom out, thats when they are tapped out.  What amp is it?

Whats your head unit model?

Last edited by a moderator:
What do they sound like when bottoming out?

My amp is a Ground Zero GZNA 12500DXII and i’m using my oem headunit but with a Dayton Audio DSP as a line output converter.

Just checked my DSP settings and the main volume was set at max so maybe it was sending a clipped signal to my amps when recieving a high voltage signal from my headunit. Will redo my gains and hopefully see an improvement. 

What do they sound like when bottoming out?

My amp is a Ground Zero GZNA 12500DXII and i’m using my oem headunit but with a Dayton Audio DSP as a line output converter.
So I'm 90% sure your stock head unit has a built in high pass filter that completely fks up your bass response so when you are trying to get a bass signal out of something thats nonexistent you get distorted bass so your signal line is screwed up. This is THE most common problem in ALL stock head unit setups literally we get everyone with your exact same issues with a stock head unit once or twice every month on this forum.   What I would recommend is dont rely on anything from the head unit completely and just buy the bluetooth dongle for the dayton DSP and play music through there. You'll get a full signal and sound quality should massively increase along with your bass output.

bottoming out sounds like this at 02:19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrfVulKxkHs

100% guaranteed that playing music over bluetooth on the dayton bluetooth dongle via APTX, your bass output and your overall sound quality should be WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better, day and night difference.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.