Sundown 1100.5, anyone running one?

XaznKewLguyX
10+ year member

bloop
SoCal
Having some issues with the amp and wondering if anyone else has the same issue.

I picked up a B-stock 1100.5 from Caraudiobargain so I could save myself some money since there are some great reviews with the online vendor. Got the amp and it looked great, they claim that b-stock is just blemished products that could not be sold as new. I emailed them to make sure that they are not refurbished amps that have been repaired and they assured me that it was just scratches and minor imperfections. The amp looked brand new so I was pretty excited.

Picked up the amp so I could power up TM65's as well as my substage without adding a 2nd amp. Upon installation, There was audible signal (highs) going to both drivers but only one driver had excursion and was actually playing midbass, keep in mind these are playing full range from channels 3/4 as I had intentions of adding an electronic xover later. I had a nice Navone 4ch LOC installed which I had only used for sub amps for the past 5 years. The LOC is tapped into the Front midbass signals and the front midrange signals.

Switched to channels 1/2 and both have highs and now both don't have lows. Tried new RCA's without luck then damaging my LOC in the process. So I had narrowed it down to the LOC or the amp itself.

CAB's great customer service sent me a replacement amp BUT I am still having the same issue despite purchasing and installing a new LOC. I had even questioned my install so I rewired my LOC to the rear midbass speakers. Same dam issue. My mono amp had no issues playing both drivers while I waited for the replacement to come.

So fed up with this... The only way to get both midbass drivers to play properly was to bridge the amp. However now I am overpowering my midbass drivers gains set at minimum and running my amp @ 2 ohms bridged. Lots of risks involved here but I am so over this amp.. Never in the last 10+ years of being in this hobby have I been so frustrated.

So I am just curious if anyone else owns this amp? Could not find any posts or videos from any other owner. Wondering if it is truly a defected amp as this is the 2nd one with the same issue. At this point I would rather not shell out another $60 to ship it back so I am going to keep it going as is until something craps out on me. I think I was much happier with my stock system + IDMax's powered by US Amps MD2D. But I am in too deep with this to swap it out again.

Or if anyone in socal has an hour to spare, I would like to test this amp on a different install to rule out if it is just me.

Hard to say from your post in without a lot more information but it sounds to me like the issue is with the Crossovers on the amp, or head unit not being set right or maybe RCA signals criss-crossed possibly even a speaker wired out of phase but I don't think it's the amp highly unlikely to get to with the exact same issues back to back

Hard to say from your post in without a lot more information but it sounds to me like the issue is with the Crossovers on the amp, or head unit not being set right or maybe RCA signals criss-crossed possibly even a speaker wired out of phase but I don't think it's the amp highly unlikely to get to with the exact same issues back to back

Car is completely stock. Couldn’t get a aftermarket head unit as the climate controls are built in. Only thing that was installed was a line output converter. RCA wires have been tried in many different configurations and still the same result with only one driver playing mid bass. one or the other, never both. Crossovers on the amp are on full range. I have color coded speaker wire so speaker Wires are def not out of phase

How is it that I have ran 4ch Amps, 2ch Amps, and Mono Amps in the past in the identical install without ever having signal issues.

Also I was informed that I only need to connect a one pair of RCA’s and it would send signal to all channels. I tried that too and whether in 2ch, 4ch, or 5ch mode I still had the same issue

Car is completely stock. Couldn’t get a aftermarket head unit as the climate controls are built in. Only thing that was installed was a line output converter. RCA wires have been tried in many different configurations and still the same result with only one driver playing mid bass. one or the other, never both. Crossovers on the amp are on full range. I have color coded speaker wire so speaker Wires are def not out of phase
How is it that I have ran 4ch Amps, 2ch Amps, and Mono Amps in the past in the identical install without ever having signal issues.
I don't know bro but like I said the odds of getting too f***** up amps write in a row that are both f***** up the same way is truly slim to none even buying them B stock without being there and being able to go through it with you hands on I probably will not be able to help you out too much you should try to get with Jeffdachef or one of the other front stage gurus to see if they have any experience was something like that you might have already thought of this too but some head units have preset crossovers from the factory that you can't do s*** about without a DSP so that could be screwing with it too don't know why it wouldn't have f***** with your other amps though but one easy experiment to try that might give you some type of insight would be to get a Y adapter for your RCA's and plug it into the RCA that is giving you the good signal and then plug that Y adapter into the amp and see if both speakers come on right like they're supposed to or just take the RCA jack that is giving the side good signal and move it to the other side and then if the other side has good signal you know the problem is somewhere in the signal and not the amp sorry wish I could do more but from what you said that's my opinion

I am currently waiting for the Sundown 1100.5 to be delivered. Not a B class though. Brand new. I hope I dont run into this issue. Will keep you posted. Sounds like you have a problem somewhere else. For 2 amps in a row to have the same problem is suspicious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know bro but like I said the odds of getting too f***** up amps write in a row that are both f***** up the same way is truly slim to none even buying them B stock without being there and being able to go through it with you hands on I probably will not be able to help you out too much you should try to get with Jeffdachef or one of the other front stage gurus to see if they have any experience was something like that you might have already thought of this too but some head units have preset crossovers from the factory that you can't do s*** about without a DSP so that could be screwing with it too don't know why it wouldn't have f***** with your other amps though but one easy experiment to try that might give you some type of insight would be to get a Y adapter for your RCA's and plug it into the RCA that is giving you the good signal and then plug that Y adapter into the amp and see if both speakers come on right like they're supposed to or just take the RCA jack that is giving the side good signal and move it to the other side and then if the other side has good signal you know the problem is somewhere in the signal and not the amp sorry wish I could do more but from what you said that's my opinion
Thank you for the idea. Got a y adapter and it seemed to get the amp to power the mids as it should. Not the way I wanted to send signal to the amp but it will work.

After several configurations with the RCA’s, can only get the drivers to play highs OR lows. Can’t get the mids to play full range regardless of hpf or full range on channels 1/2. Tried channels 3/4 and again regardless of hpf/Lpf/full, same results. Thankfully the car is equipped with 3 way front stage so I have midrange speakers to compensate for the lack of highs coming from the mid bass.

More importantly I feel better not having the amp running @ 2 ohms bridged

I am currently waiting for the Sundown 1100.5 to be delivered. Not a B class though. Brand new. I hope I dont run into this issue. Will keep you posted. Sounds like you have a problem somewhere else. For 2 amps in a row to have the same problem is suspicious.

Please update when you get it installed. For now I am relatively happy and have accepted that it is probably my install and not the amps fault. Even though initially I was tapped into the front mid bass and midrange speakers. Then tapped into the rear mid bass and midrange speakers. So I really don’t get why I am not getting the correct signal to the amp.

Thank you for the idea. Got a y adapter and it seemed to get the amp to power the mids as it should. Not the way I wanted to send signal to the amp but it will work.
After several configurations with the RCA’s, can only get the drivers to play highs OR lows. Can’t get the mids to play full range regardless of hpf or full range on channels 1/2. Tried channels 3/4 and again regardless of hpf/Lpf/full, same results. Thankfully the car is equipped with 3 way front stage so I have midrange speakers to compensate for the lack of highs coming from the mid bass.

More importantly I feel better not having the amp running @ 2 ohms bridged

Please update when you get it installed. For now I am relatively happy and have accepted that it is probably my install and not the amps fault. Even though initially I was tapped into the front mid bass and midrange speakers. Then tapped into the rear mid bass and midrange speakers. So I really don’t get why I am not getting the correct signal to the amp.
Well I'm glad it's at least a little better. like I said before I am no front stage expert, but I really do think that since your car is using the stock head unit, and has a 3-way front stage that the line you're tapping into for your signal is already crossed over at a set point that you cannot change without a DSP. so your loc is just taking the pre crossed over signal and amplifying it. seen a few other people run into this problem plus that's the only thing that makes sense to me. really do wish I could do more to help you out cuz I've got a lot of good help from this form, and would like to try to pay some of it back if I could. another thing you could try is, like Loslsatool said above, get a 3.5 mm to RCA cable and plug that straight into the amp since your phone will have a full range signal you should then have a full range signal playing through the speakers, and that would definitely let you know that your amp is good, and the signal is the problem, or if the signal is good and something else is the problem.

One of the reasons I dont buy B-stock or yard Sale gear.Seems to always be an issue with something.Ill buy a good old used am that i know works well and can be repaired by myself if needed. Other than that.If i dnt know the gear, i dont buy it used or B-stock or Yard Sale

Even tho the amp is B stock, there are circumstances on those B stock items of 15-30 day limited warranty returns if the amp fails for whatever reason. Is this something you can return in hopes for another or for them to fix? Or called them or email them about the issue? Or come here and ask questions about it?

Edit n/m read your 1st post...perhaps the LOC is the issue.

So apparently this amp is so popular rite now that the place I purchased from can’t keep it in stock so it had to be shipped directly from Sundown. That being said, I’m sure the OP has a wiring issue somewhere. Hard to believe that he got 2 bad amps in a row. I’m glad he was able to rig it up using rca adapters.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.