Sub sonic filter question

brandontw
10+ year member

just some guy
Reno, NV
I got to reading a few postings about people blowing there subs with ceartain frequencies and said that a subsonic filter stops this. Well my amp has a low pass crossover that goes from 50hz-200hz would this stop damaging frequencies or is there other precautions i should take, or should i even worry about it.

I am getting a cerwin vega 12d4 And a kenwood 7201 (eventually two of each) any info would be appreciated

I got to reading a few postings about people blowing there subs with ceartain frequencies and said that a subsonic filter stops this. Well my amp has a low pass crossover that goes from 50hz-200hz would this stop damaging frequencies or is there other precautions i should take, or should i even worry about it.I am getting a cerwin vega 12d4 And a kenwood 7201 (eventually two of each) any info would be appreciated
Hey there,

Your crossover won't really do anything. A subsonic filter stops your subs from playing below a certain frequency. It's most important for a ported/vented enclosure. Sealed, you don't need one.

If you have a vented box tuned to 30hz you do not want to go very much lower than 30hz. That's where the subsonic filter comes in. You set it around 25-30hz and it won't allow your sub to get enough power below those frequencies to damage the sub. In a vented setup, if your subs gets frequencies below the tunning frequency the sub starts to loose control. And if it gets frequencies well below the tunning frequency, it will cause your sub to reach it's xmax VERY FAST (depending on wattage), and possibly or eventually cause over-excursion, which will blow your sub.

A subsonic filter prevents any of that. And it is not a Low Pass Crossover.

Hey there,
Your crossover won't really do anything. A subsonic filter stops your subs from playing below a certain frequency. It's most important for a ported/vented enclosure. Sealed, you don't need one.

If you have a vented box tuned to 30hz you do not want to go very much lower than 30hz. That's where the subsonic filter comes in. You set it around 25-30hz and it won't allow your sub to get enough power below those frequencies to damage the sub. In a vented setup, if your subs gets frequencies below the tunning frequency the sub starts to loose control. And if it gets frequencies well below the tunning frequency, it will cause your sub to reach it's xmax VERY FAST (depending on wattage), and possibly or eventually cause over-excursion, which will blow your sub.

A subsonic filter prevents any of that. And it is not a Low Pass Crossover.
spoken like a champ

Thanks for your help, i am on on a major budjet as you can probably see by my equipment and i do have a vented enclosure cause that is what the sub requires and i blew a couple cheaper subs and i would like to keep that to a minimum on my new sub(s) so where can i find a cheap but effective ssf?

there was one on ebay for like 50 bucks but im hopin cheaper than that and in the mean time what can i do to stop my subs from damaging themselves?

here is my system right now try not to laugh:

HU----Clarion DXZ735

Front speaks---- infinity kappa 3.5’s (powered from hu)

Rear Speaks---- Audiobahn ACX680P 6x8/5x7 (powered from hu)

Sub---- Gervin Vega 12D4 12” sub (just one for now)

Sub amp---- kenwood kac 7201 2 channel 800 watts max

Crap amp ---- Legacy 1080 2000 W 4 channel (learned my lesson)-(just sold on ebay for 70 bucks!)

tell me what you think would be a good next step if you want.

here is my system right now try not to laugh:HU----Clarion DXZ735

Front speaks---- infinity kappa 3.5’s (powered from hu)

Rear Speaks---- Audiobahn ACX680P 6x8/5x7 (powered from hu)

Sub---- Gervin Vega 12D4 12” sub (just one for now)

Sub amp---- kenwood kac 7201 2 channel 800 watts max

Crap amp ---- Legacy 1080 2000 W 4 channel (learned my lesson)-(just sold on ebay for 70 bucks!)

tell me what you think would be a good next step if you want.
not as sorry as my first

HU---Pioneer DH2300(?)

speakers-----stock

Subs------2 12" polk GNX

box-------Prefab bandpass

amp------profile cl600 or something like that with 420 at 2ohm

If you like bass sub is always a good place to start. Other wise I would look into an amp and some up front components. Right now my bass just about completely drowns out the words but I like it that way. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.