• Views 614
    Participant count
  • Participant list
A

adam182002

hello all,

A few questions:

1. What is a Voice Coil in A Sub?

2. What is the advantage to Freeair, or how does it compare to a sub in a sealed box.

3. is the Kicker Comp 01C84 a good sub?

thanks

adam

the voice coil is at the bottom of the cone of the speaker. The voice coil is a coil of wire that is wrapped around a former...think about a spool of wire...just smaller.

The amplifier pushes current through the spool of wire and creates a magnetic field. This field then reacts with the magnetic field of the magnet, and due to the suspension of the speaker, the voice coil moves, and moves the speaker cone.

This then creates music. Some speakers have dual voice coils, where you can create a stronger magnetic field.

On to Freeair. The best thing about a freeair sub is that you don't need a box. If done right, a freeair sub sounds great, but you must make sure that the forward wave and the rear wave of the sub NEVER meet. This means that wherever you put that sub, you need to ensure that the two sides are sealed from each other. Most of these are in the truck where the truck is sealed from the passenger compartment.

As for the Kicker...they are good subs, one of the best freeair subs out there, just make sure you give it enough power...they crap-out without enough power.

Hope that explains a little for you...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.