Sub Hiccup / Cap Beep

rickdurham
10+ year member

I'm not sure why and it's not all the time but sometimes when I turn on my stereo my sub doesn't work. The power comes on the amp and my Cap makes a long steady beep and my sub hiccups or burps would be the only way to describe it. Then it will work fine for days. It's like a "POP"............"POP"............."POP".....and so on....

I have 4guage coming back from the battery to the cap and then from the cap to the + on the amp. Then 4guage from my amps ground to the cap ground then to the chasis.....all wring comes down driver side together.

I am upgrading my wires tomorrow to Lightning audio and running the power either separate down drivers side or under/through frame and the rca/remote on the passenger side or through drive if I go under with power.

The cap is a 3 farad MA Audio it's at 14.5V and drops to 12V and my lights seem to almost go out still so I'm also gettin an Optima Red Top tomorrow and looking to get a high amp alternator as posted in a separate thread if anyone has advice.

I'm hoping it isn't anything to do with running my amp at 1ohm into the sub.....aside from supplying twice the RMS power. I just put clips on the outside of the box and ran a + and - to each of the voice coils instead of wiring the coils together.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I have my cap running inline with my amp so the power goes into cap then out to amp and the ground from the amp goes to the cap then to the ground....maybe I'll try separate grounds.

you have me confused on something. do you have one positive wire ran to both terminals on one voicecoil and the negative run to the other two terminals on the voice coil? i hope not.

This thread can be deleted, I rewired everything myself this time and all appears to be great. I'm writing it of to one of two things or a combination of both.

The fuse up front was about 4 feet from the battery and the ground was poorly attached.

I paid almost $200 for a new install from my neon to my accord and it seems they figured they'd use the same power cables to save money. The ground was just awful. I put a thicker bolt in instead of screw and made sure to scratch the paint away and went underneath to bolt in on as well....I think I will find a new ground spot as this is just in the sheet metal around my spair tire right now.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.