Strange power issues

Participant count
  • Participant list

b4tn

MD
Hey all, I am a little stumped on what to do with this issue. I have a pretty simple system in a Jeep wrangler. Several years ago I installed an alpine head unit, replaced all the factory speakers and put in an infinity basslink powered sub. All worked well for several years no issues. Recently the sub stopped working. Power light was coming on when the head unit was on and all fuses checked out but no sound. I assumed that due to the rough nature of the sub being in the back of a jeep that gets wheeled that it was just time for a new one after all the beating it gets. I installed a new Kicker hideaway and had the same issue.

I did all the basic checks I could think of. I cleaned the ground and tested with a DMM. I got .00 reading from the jeep body to the ground terminal of the sub. The remote turn on wire is getting 12 volts at the sub and the main power cable is also getting 12-14 volts. Here is where it gets strange. Both the new sub and the old one get no sound and just power on. But the voltage at the power terminals drops to 9-10 volts. I initially thought the ground had to be bad so I ran a cable from the negative terminal of the battery (which is new) to the body of the jeep with no effect. Next thing I did was jump the remote turn on terminal to the direct power terminal and now the sub turns on and now I get sound but any volume and it starts clipping. The only thing I can think of is something is wrong with my power cable. Any ideas what would cause a voltage drop at the amp if the ground is good?

Could be Corrosion at the battery connection of the Supply wiring..and If you did an ANL Fuse or??Maxi fuse..It could be corroded there as well.Best make fresh connections and newly Fresh wire connections.And possibly install a new Inline Fuse as well..they dont last forever you know.I check and clean and do every year/Change the ANL under the hood for sure

Had encountered a similar situation with a co worker. Sub worked then just stopped. Tried one of my spare amps at the time and got no power. Looked over everything. Finally told him to pop the hood. The power wire going to his battery was so corroded as soon as I touched it, it fell off. Got him hooked up with some new wire and was good to go afterwords.

My next step was to pull the power cable and replace it. I did do a visual check of the maxi fuse at the battery and it was good but went ahead and pulled it to check. It denigrated as I pulled it out! I put in a new fuse and everything is golden now. I have never had a "partially" blown fuse before. Learn something new every day!

Now I have an extra powered sub.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.