Stereo Integrity Mag V4

Participant count
  • Participant list

bose301s
5,000+ posts

I can break these cuffs
Durham, NC
Well, I finally have my new Mag installed and set to go.

The new Mag sounds great, definitely more punch to it than my BMs had. The drum hits on Pink Floyd's The Wall album are all clean, crisp and precise. Much more pointed that on the BM.

On Nine Inch Nails Discipline, the notes have an actual shape to them, there is a buildup and a decay, not just a thwack from the drum hit. Again, I can't say the BMs sounded bad as they destroy any other sub I have heard in SQ, but the Mag truly is that much better.

On rap this sub keeps up great and still gets plenty loud for me. It definitely has less output than my 2 BMs, but those were 2 ported subs versus 1 sealed sub, I 100% expected that.

Also, there seems to be fewer peaks and valleys through the frequency range with the Mag. I am not sure if this is due to it being a sealed box or because of the Mag itself, but it's a more linear frequency response than my BMs had.

I must note however that if you are at all looking for SPL, this is not the sub for you, it can get loud, but it is not an SPL sub at all. Also, it is designed to take a Maximum of 1000 watts, it does not need 1000 watts, 500 should do fine in most cases, especially since it is only a 3 dB difference, barely audible.

In conclusion, if you are looking for a very dynamic and listenable sub, this is it, but if you want more SPL, find an old Mag V3 or an old BM, it will serve you better.

Well, I feel I need to revisit what I said earlier about the Mag because I did more experimenting with positioning and blending.

To me, the thing I love most about this sub is that it seems like I don't have a sub, it just seems that my 6.5" mids in my doors continue down to 20Hz. It just disappears into the soundstage. I like to do the experiment where I am listening to something, like Pink Floyd, The Wall is the best album I have found to date to show off a system. Anyway, what I like to do is start listening and then turn the sub off and hear just how much it adds, because I could swear that it isn't even on. I am currently crossing it at 80Hz with my mids but when I get my Germaniums in I plan to go active and cross at 63Hz or around there, testing will decide where it ends up. Anyway, I love this sub, very glad I bought it.

So Mag is back in my car again and this time with a slope 12dB/oct LPda 100Hz. Way better than this. May really shines when asked to play a little higher. I like much better then I did when I was on top LPdo 50Hz or 63Hz. beautiful details and I think the paper cone is capable of an amazing reproduction of drums.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

bose301s

5,000+ posts
I can break these cuffs
bose301s
Durham, NC
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies