Steering Wheel Controls Theory (Will it work?)

Participant count
  • Participant list

qtipextra
5,000+ posts

The Original
I just purchased a 2012 Dodge Ram 1500!!! Now I want to figure out my Audio system and setup.

The plan: Single DIN Pioneer receiver/head unit for audio control, with a 7" Android tablet connected to the Pioneer's AUX input.

I would like to use stock steering wheel controls of my truck. I want Volume and Source buttons to be sent to the Pioneer. I want Track and Pause buttons to be sent to my tablet via a USB interface.

First, I've found out that I need a CANBUS adapter to convert the steering wheel control's CANBUS signal to an analog signal, correct? Is that output considered resistive?

So far, here's what I've come up with for parts/modules.

#1 - PAC SWI-CAN2 Interface (For converting CANBUS signal): Link Here

#2 - PAC SWI-RC (For outputting to Pioneer's wired remote input): Link Here

#3 - Joycon EXD USB (For outputting commands via USB to tablet): http://store.mp3car.com/Joycon_EXD_N...p/com-171b.htm

I can program only the Volume and Source buttons via the SWI-RC's learn mode so that no other commands are interpreted by this module, which will be sent out to the Pioneer.

I can program only the Track and Pause buttons via the EXD USB's configuration so that these are sent out as keyboard input to my tablet via USB.

Essentially, it would be configured as follows:

71417d1396389386-steering-wheel-controls-theory-will-it-work-example2.jpg

Can anyone see a reason why this would not work?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.