Station Wagons!

emilimo701
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Hey guys, been a while but it's that time again. I'm looking for a reliable, budget car for under $2,200. I'd prefer a small/midsize SUV, but my budget restricts me to pre-2001 cars, when SUVs weren't fully en vogue. I do want a hatch though, so I can fit a fairly large box in the back, and a wagon (with even more room) would be preferable. The more cars I test drive, the more I miss my 1994 legacy (for some reason all the newer, AWD models make all sorts of loud/idiosyncratic noises) and also the interior seems downgraded after the 1994 models for their makeover.

But anyway, I'm looking for suggestions for old wagons pretty much. Nothing (i dont think) will beat my old Legacy in terms of reliability, smooth ride, comfort, and "solidness" (for example i tested out Saturn and Hyundai and both of them felt like I was riding inside a toy car) but I'm trying to find something as close as possible.

European cars are pretty much a no-go. Unless it's an unbelievable deal, I don't want to get stuck with a car that will cost me 3 times as much to repair as a Jap or a domestic. And also proven reliability is key... for example the 1994-1997 Accord wagons seems to be rocks, but I don't see too many of them floating around.

Maybe I'm being a little too picky? What do you think guys?

These used to be popular for systems.......

p152639_large+1991_chevrolet_caprice_coupe+front_right.jpg

1991 Chevrolet Caprice Wagon

Old school AMC Eagle wagons. Run great, lots of room and the technology used to build them completely simple. I may be partial to AMC's though since I am building one. lol

one thing the AMC and Caprice have in common is a lack of reliability. i wouldn't buy a caprice unless i expected it to nickel and dime me the whole time.

however, the AMC is easy and simple, but parts are much less common compared to the other two.

one thing the AMC and Caprice have in common is a lack of reliability. i wouldn't buy a caprice unless i expected it to nickel and dime me the whole time.
however, the AMC is easy and simple, but parts are much less common compared to the other two.

Is this a joke? If so, not funny. I've only had exp w/ the 305/350's(non-lt1) caprices and they were nothing but solid..Yeah it'll cost you money here and there but what 15+ yr old car won't? . You prob couldn't handle it anyways.

Owned my AMC for 13 years. Only had to replace an exhaust valve do to my stupidity. Also the inline 6 cylinders are the same ones chrysler still uses so reliability should not be in question.

i've built 305's and 350's, they were very easy to work on, then GM figured out a way to make them complicated and reduce reliability and useful life. I help people fix cars since i am mechanically and electrically skilled. I've seen dozens of Caprices with issues that you just don't see on Honda's or Toyota's. If you own one, you know this and should be arguing with me about it.

I assumed the OP wanted a car that is good to 300k+, like the Accord. Given that he likes Subaru, the Accord is the closest thing in every category (and was even mentioned).

besides, the Accord beats the Caprice and post-'87 AMC in all of the following categories:

fuel economy

build quality

reliability

useful service life

simplicity

AMC Eagle after 1988 was made by Chrysler. anyone who has owned a 90's Chrysler (myself included) can tell you they have poor reliability and parts are several times more expensive than they should be.

Pre-1987 I agree AMC were solid, but from the post above, that is older than the OP wanted to go.

The list completely changes if we are talking 80's.

i'm not trying to offend anyone. i have nothing against Chevrolet or AMC, but they didn't seem like the right tools for the job. The OP didn't ask what you would drive, but what would be best for him.

Cool thanks guys. Yeah no way am I buying a '90's Chrysler. My money has been hard to come by lately, so I need a car with average-to-superior reliability and that, if necessary, is on the cheaper end to fix. I have seen a few ford wagons pop up, but I think I am going to stick to either a Legacy or an Accord wagon as you suggested.

I love the interior of the 93/94 Legacy wagons. 95+ they changed it up for some reason, for the worse IMO (seats not as comfortable, controls rearranged).

Going to check this out tomorrow. What do you think of the 1994s? On the reporting sites they have perfect ratings, just like the 96/97 View attachment 26525393

I'd be all over a 94-96 Caprice wagon. All of them from those years had the LT1s... FTW. The only issue these have is the upper intake manifold gasket, which is a super easy/cheap change. Sometimes the oil cooling lines and trans cooling lines leak, but that's expected on a car of that age.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.