SSF and spl

The Camry

Hey, I Try.
I met a guy at an spl event a few months back and he was a novice. He had 2 Soundqubed subs in a prefab box far too small for them on around 2k in a trunk car. I believe he did something like a 142. I was looking at his set up and talking to him about finding cabin tuning and such. So i ran some Freq sweeps and found that the box was tuned to 55hz...which is just meh at best. He asked me if he could do anything to make his set up louder, so i took a look at his amp and he had his SSF crazy high. So i had him play the loudest song he had and lowered it all the way to the bottom. No x-max, no Vc slapping or anything and i left it. Later the guy came to me and said that it seemed like his system was much quieter now.

To my knowledge, lowering a SSF shouldn't make your system quieter. He of course, could have been hearing low frequencies for the first time and thought it sounded much different, which im sure it did.

My question is, can allowing your subs to play down low, limit their spl up high in some form?

Lowering the SSF in my experience does make the sub play very low, I'm my case after learning about the SSF and what it should be set at was new to me but I sure as hell felt the difference immediately, my ear drums shook like never b4, but I feel like that SSF allows the sub if capable to play a kind of bass that's more felt than heard and this I think is what sets spl apart from SQ. From this I'll let you draw your conclusion.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

No, the ssf is just a filter to prevent frequencies below a certain point from being produced.
Below or above? I'm not understanding your response there? SSF in my amp is set to not play anything above 28hz as mine is a switch. On position is 28hz fixed, and off position allows you to adjust a seperate knob manually.
Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

SSF attenuates freqs below its set point..

Possibly what he was experiencing after you lowered it was due to a larger bandwidth being played ..so same power being used across a broader bandwidth. The upper freqs are louder per say.

so he was probably hammering between 45-60 hz depending on his lpf in a high tuned prefab box..... then you opened the flood gates for some Loooooooows

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.