SSA Icon vs SQ HDX3 12" HELP!!

Participant count
  • Participants list

Mitchc1113

Like the title says I'm trying to decide between an SSA Icon or a SoundQubed HDX3 12. And I MUST make a decision today, Cyber Monday so both these subs are on sale, basically same price.

I currently have a SoundQubed HDS3.1 12" and I really like it, only complaints I have are it doesnt dig the lows as well as I'd like, something that is apparently an issue with the HDS and HDC but supposedly this has been addressed with the HDX line... And it can be inaccurate sometimes, some songs it can get muddy.

I've heard great things about both subs. I like the ability to get very loud and for a sub to hit those lows. I've never been much of an SQ guy, but as I enter my mid 30s I'm wanting better SQ, which I hear the Icon has. Seems like the Icon has the better SQ of the 2 and can get loud while the HDX I assume can get louder but can still sound good in doing so.

Either sub will be going into a 3.0cu/ft box tuned to 34hz. The box was built to the HDS3.1 12 specs which makes me think the HDX may be better suited for it. But Aaron Clinton did tell me the Icon will also work in the box. The box also has Soundqubed logos on each side, but this has no effect on my decision unless it were basically a toss up, then I'd go with the HDX for aesthetics, but like I said it wouldnt bother if the Icon is better suited for my liking.

Both subs would be powered off my Soundqubed s1.1250, so 1300 watts @1ohm. This is where I'm wondering if this wouldnt be enough power for the HDX, its rated at 1500watts rms, but so is the HDC line and I know ppl always say they can handle WAY more. I just want to know if I'd be under powering it to where my output would suffer? Because I know 1300 watts is perfect for the Icon which is rated @ 1250rms, can take more but I certainly wouldnt be under powering it.

I dont want to lose any output vs what I have now. So if the Icon would not be as loud as my current HDS3.1 than I'd go with the HDX... Or if the HDX would be underpowered to the point where I wouldnt notice much of a difference between it and the HDS3.1 than I'd go with the Icon.

Tough decision bc I know they're different subs... Part of me wants to go a different route and try the Icon, but then part of me says I enjoy my HDS3.1 and I know the HDX is going to be better in every area so stick with what ya know... Anyone have any experience with either sub? I know no one prob have heard both as they're brand new, but does anyone have experience with the original Icon and say an HDC3.1 or HDC4.1?? 

Help me decide guys!!! Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Heres my current box FYI

20181019_165635.jpg

20181007_220311.jpg

I vote Icon. :)
LOL Aaron you vote doesnt count!! That's like Neil Boswell telling me his vote is HDX!!

Lol, nah I'm taking everything in and still trying to decide, I did however just message you on FB, wanted to know the cutout diameter of the Icon 12", so if you see this on here 1st if you wouldnt mind responding to the FB Messenger I'd appreciate it, I'll get that 1 instantly, where as I dont have notifications setup for this site. Thanks

LOL Aaron you vote doesnt count!! That's like Neil Boswell telling me his vote is HDX!!

Lol, nah I'm taking everything in and still trying to decide, I did however just message you on FB, wanted to know the cutout diameter of the Icon 12", so if you see this on here 1st if you wouldnt mind responding to the FB Messenger I'd appreciate it, I'll get that 1 instantly, where as I dont have notifications setup for this site. Thanks
Standard 12 spoke cut out is usually 11.125".  My bias is because I put that Icon together before production.  :)   

Well like I already told Aaron, I did go ahead with the Icon. Literally went back n forth all day, dont think I pulled the trigger until almost 9pm. What finally tipped the scales was Neil Boswell from Soundqubed gave me a very honest answer & said if I went w/ the HDX3 & kept it running of my S1-1250 that he didn't think I'd notice that much of a difference from my HDS3.1. He said if I'd throw 2000+ watts at it then thered be quite a difference. I appreciated the honesty, upgrading to a 2000+ watt amplifier would mean I'd have to also upgrade my electrical, HO alt and secondary battery. I've already done my Big 3 and plan on adding a HO alt and secondary battery at some point, but not right now.

So at that point the HDX3 was out of the picture and there was the pretty Icon, BUT me being as anal as I am I of course had to spend another hr or so looking for any other quality subs on sale. I was very interested in the IA Lethal Injection but couldnt compete with the Icon @ $230. Then of course Aaron had to go ahead and put the Brahma on sale. I was extremely tempted to get a Brahma, on sale for I think like $350, very very tempting, it's the 1 sub from back in my earlier days I always wanted that I can still get my hands on today, assuming they're still as good as the originals, which was 1 of my hesitations, seems like the new owners are staying very true to the original company, but you just never know. So I decided against the Brahma. Then my last decision came when I saw that FI was doing a "Happy Hour" sale that brought the SSD down to $220, once again I go back n forth, back n forth until finally I decide I'm gonna stick with my gut and original choice in the Icon.

Should be waiting for me when I get home from work tomorrow, cannot wait to get a look at this thing!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.