SSA ICON Review. ish. More of SA VS Icon.

The Camry

Hey, I Try.
SSA ICON. Well, let me start by saying all the rumors are true. This thing is fantastic.

Going from a $200 Sundown SA-12 to a $369 SSA Icon. It is almost like night and day.

The Sa-12 was a heavy hitter. It really filled the car full of bass and put a smile on your face. It was accurate to an extent. Now that ive heard it compared to a SQL driver. I honestly wouldn't recommend it for an SQ set up. If you want to get loud on $200. The sa-12 is for you.

If you want to hear every tiny transition. Look no further than the SSA ICON.

The SSA Icon is a hammer with a needle on it. It hits you hard and does it in a pinpoint fashion. I listen to a lot of bass heavy music. Crizzly, excision, adventure club, things of that nature. You would think that after hearing these songs 1000 times. Id know every note in them. Well, i was wrong. The Icon picks up on even the most minute change in the bass line. It has a super fast attack and makes you hear things in the song you never knew were there.

It handles the top end extremely well too boot. A song like "Down with the sickness" by Disturbed has a ton of midbass and the Icon makes it sound like the drummer is right there. To compare...The same song with an sa-12 would prob skip every other drum hit vs the icon where you hear each and every drum hit.

Build Quality: Heh...first thing i did was put the sub next to the SA and pick both of them up. SA is sorta heavy. Icon was like UGH, This is a woofer! MM Good stuff.

Power handling: Both were powered by the same amp in the same box(which isnt really fair because the sa-12 wants a bit smaller of a box). At first the Icon didn't seem right. It was lacking on the lowend and was just barely louder than the SA. Given that i have had it for a week or two now and it has had time to break in. This thing is a monster. Without a doubt. The Icon is a completely different sub once its broken in. The lowend is especially impressive. I drive a 4 door 94 camry xle. So there is a ton airspace in my car. I still get impressive face vibrating low end off of less than 1000rms(box rise). Id wanna hear what this thing can do on its rated rms or more.

Sa-12 Sensitivity=83.21

ICON Sensitivity= 85.5

So im getting near twice as loud off the same amount of power. Good Stuff.

tumblr_nny7d8tTcp1ssbskgo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nny7d8tTcp1ssbskgo2_1280.jpg

%100000 agree with ya on the sub really comes alive after some break in time!! I own one also. 15" I'm on the small side of prt area right now and it still plays plenty low.

Happy to read this. I just ordered a 15" SSA Icon since they were on sale. Got mine for $339. Really looking forward to trying it out. Everything I've read on it has been very positive.

Also, I had a question regarding my order and sent an email at 11PM last night(Sunday). I woke up this morning(Memorial day) at 7AM with a response to my question. Great customer service!! I still haven't heard back from Sundown regarding some questions I had 2 weeks ago.

Happy to read this. I just ordered a 15" SSA Icon since they were on sale. Got mine for $339. Really looking forward to trying it out. Everything I've read on it has been very positive.
Also, I had a question regarding my order and sent an email at 11PM last night(Sunday). I woke up this morning(Memorial day) at 7AM with a response to my question. Great customer service!! I still haven't heard back from Sundown regarding some questions I had 2 weeks ago.
I just picked up the phone and called. 2 rings and tech was on the phone from sundown. I'm waiting 1+ year for a custom build quote from PSI.

Awesome review. I've been thinking of switching to an ICON from an SA. The SA gets loud, but I would like something with more accuracy and handles transitions a bit better.

I imagine with some enclosure tweaking anyone that doesn't feel that SA is an accurate woofer could, in fact, be quite satisfied with it. It has objectively good parameters at rest & over stroke -- with symmetrical BL, CMS, and LE curves (dual shorting rings).

2.2 cubes is quite larger for the SA-12 ; it prefers about 30% less volume ported. I really enjoy them sealed up myself as well in applications where accuracy is the #1 goal.

Either way -- the ICON is a nice sub for sure -- just adding in some input on the SA //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

The Camry

Hey, I Try.
The Camry
Western Oregon
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views