SQ Heads - What do you listen to?

The Loudness Wars, What Went Wrong with CD Sound
Why Modern CDs can be Fatiguing or Don't Always Sound Right

Something isn't right with the sound of many rock and pop CDs now. They're just too loud, as mastering engineers crank up the sound listeners are getting fatigued. Tragically, nearly everybody with a long-term stake in good sound is losing out.

Artistically, music needs the soft to balance the loud, and the life is being squeezed out of the sound as record companies and in some cases producers race to have the loudest songs on the dial.

Loudness Wars - Why are CDs getting Louder?

When two sounds follow each other, people tend to be drawn towards the louder sound. This is a physiological effect, but it has always caused problems when musicality meets commercial interests. Radio stations vied with each other from the 1970s on to be the loudest sounds on the dial as listeners tuned across the band.

Now record labels push their engineers to make their CDs sound louder than anyone else's. While this may make their CDs stand out, the tragedy is that it is the paying listener who is short-changed. The short term impression may be louder is better, but after the second track or so the lack of musical dynamics starts to make things sound similar, and fatigue starts to set in after a while.

How can Mastering Make CDs Louder?

A CD player has a maximum output level which is defined by the manufacturer and the CD standard, and this is similar across all CD players. The perception of loudness can be increased by simply boosting the quieter passages or taking down some of the peaks, effectively compressing the recording's range of loud and soft.

Compression has always been used in recording - used well a little compression can make individual tracks in the mix sound better and vocals sound fuller. But like any effect it is possible to have too much of a good thing.

Compressing the combined mix in particular reduces the contrast between loud and soft, but it takes away one of the dimensions to the music. More recent processors can compress different parts of the frequency spectrum differently, to maximise the loudness of the recording even more.

Is the Way We Listen Part of the Problem?

We listen to more music now than in the past, but perhaps modern listeners do not listen as intently to rock and pop music as they did in the past. As Mat Serletic, former Virgin USA CEO said in Rolling Stone's "The Death of High Fidelity" diatribe on the Loudness Wars -

"In the Seventies and Eighties, you were expected to pay attention. Modern music should be able to get your attention."

There is a world of difference between sitting down to listen to a CD on the best audio system one can afford, and hearing the same album on an Ipod while on the train to work. Perhaps uncompressed digital downloads are the answer, a premium product for those who do care.

Uncompressed, that is, in both the non-MP3 sense of the word and uncompressed in dynamics. The good news is that the Loudness Wars are largely a problem in final mastering, and so such options are still possible in future if a niche audience cares enough to pay more for it.

http://music-technology.suite101.com/article.cfm/the_loudness_wars_what_went_wrong_with_cd_sound
I do agree on some of your points, friend. I don't want you to think I misunderstand where you're coming from, this past year in my first semester of college I took my Survey or Recording Technologies class, and we watched the Loudness Wars video on youtube and a few others. Our professor was big into analog, but also liked digital.

I'm not trying to be arrogant or anything either, I'm double majoring in Audio Engineering and Computer Science in college, so I see a lot of your viewpoint, and I fully understand it, honestly. The thing is, I don't think it takes away from dynamics, the softer parts will be louder too, whereas the louder parts will be THAT MUCH louder; so dynamics are still there, just the volume floor is higher. And as for it affecting tone, etc., I think it can aid with guitar tones, drum samples/recordings, etc.

The thing with compression affecting sound quality is FALSE in my opinion; some modern recordings have overload and static from distortion in the recordings, but by using compression properly, one can achieve a rock mix mastered to -7 db and have AMAZING clarity, tone, and dynamics. My friend was just able to get his mixes down to -7 from being around -8.9 to -9 for a while. It sounds wonderful, still.

Great idea. How about another?

are you sure? you know , that new thread button seems very inviting.

just got a few crystal method albums. great stuff. ive heard some of their older stuff , but never their newer.

just got a few crystal method albums. great stuff. ive heard some of their older stuff , but never their newer.
what would the new thread be about??

Go for it! How about, "SQ Heads, how much power to your front stage?" That'll give me an opportunity to brag about my newly configured monoblocks. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I'm particularly fond of their first record. I have it on vinyl and CD, as well as a few of the 12"s. Do you like other Electronica?

what would the new thread be about??

not sure , but im working on it. everything has been covered from the ground up on this forum or another , but what would CA.com be without the repetitive threads?

Go for it! How about, "SQ Heads, how much power to your front stage?" That'll give me an opportunity to brag about my newly configured monoblocks. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I'm particularly fond of their first record. I have it on vinyl and CD, as well as a few of the 12"s. Do you like other Electronica?
lol.

im liking Vegas alot. dont know if thats their first or not , but its good.

as far as electronica , hm. i do like prodigy , dj shadow and a few others i cant think of , but im not sure if that fits the genre. but generally , i do.

OP, listen to the same music you usually do. Just try it out on other people's systems to see how it sounds on other setups. I have become open to listening to pretty much anything these days; old/new no matter what genre as long as it sounds good on my system.

I agree with more SQ threads around here. My log-in for DIYMA got messed up when they changed the format a while back and I've been too lazy to create a new one. It would give me more reading material so I can learn more here hah. There's only a handful of people here that would be interested anyway and I usually just read the discussions instead of contributing on topics that I don't know much about (but want to learn).

as far as electronica , hm. i do like prodigy , dj shadow and a few others i cant think of , but im not sure if that fits the genre. but generally , i do.
You might also like Future Sounds of London - Dead Cities. Robert Miles' Dreamland is an old favorite and a must-own recording, and Boards of Canada's records are a good choice for a more adventurous disposition. If you're interested in music, have a look at http://www.allmusic.com. It's a fantastic resource.

I agree with more SQ threads around here. My log-in for DIYMA got messed up when they changed the format a while back and I've been too lazy to create a new one. It would give me more reading material so I can learn more here hah. There's only a handful of people here that would be interested anyway and I usually just read the discussions instead of contributing on topics that I don't know much about (but want to learn).
I think that's an important point. If there were more SQ discussions on the board, some of the lurkers would begin participating more frequently. Hell, I'd probably post more often, myself, instead if just reading the board for a few cheap laughs.

i really do enjoy seeing an educated conversation here and i do like learning as well. i mean , i can always browse DIYMA , but i feel like i dont know enough on the subject to contribute anything there. i know there are a few people that are smart on SQ on this forum but dont show up unless the word active , imaging , alignment , etc. are in there , lol.

You might also like Future Sounds of London - Dead Cities. Robert Miles' Dreamland is an old favorite and a must-own recording, and Boards of Canada's records are a good choice for a more adventurous disposition. If you're interested in music, have a look at http://www.allmusic.com. It's a fantastic resource.

thanks for the suggestions , ill check them out in a few. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.