Speaker selection help

Breogan24
10+ year member

NYC
I'm completing a small little system in my car. So far i have an Alpine HU, 4" MBQuart coax's in front door, a Precision Power PC650 and a JL12w3. I don't have the sub connected yet, but i feel that i will be lacking midbass.

My idea is to set the crossover for the Coax's at about 500hz. I don't want to push them too much since they are only 4". My sub will automatically be cut off at 90hz due to the built in crossover in my amp. So basically it looks like from 100hz-500hz I will have a gap.

So i have 2 options that i considered. Modifying the rear deck to accomadate some 6.5" midbass drivers, OR building 2 little boxes so that i can stick them under my front seat. I did not want to get into cutting stuff in the car, so the little boxes under the seat seemed like a good idea, as well as the fact that they are closer to me.

Thanx for input on what i should do.

one thing to remember is that mid bass is directional unlike the bass you get out of a sub woofer which sounds almost the same from any spot in the car. the midbass will sound the best if the speakers you choose are facing your ears. 6 1/2's will probably give you want you want, 6x9's may be even better. whatever you get, use a good crossover and the system will sound real nice.

They do not make pre-fab kick panels for my car, so to get custom work done will cost a couple of hundred. I figured with some little sealed boxes, it wouldn't be too hard to put under the seat. I didn't know that Midbass was THAT directional. I think i will just cut up my door panels and moun the 6.5 Quarts there. Thanx

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.