Speaker adhesive ???'s More info inside. Thank You

Participant count
  • Participant list

Eargasms
10+ year member

Need suggestions for a good high quality speaker adhesive. Tips, hints, and any other important information is also welcomed!

I am in the process of direct wiring my OLD SCHOOLish, T8104 MTX Thunder 8000's. I have 4 of them.

Reason for doing so is because I have had some problems with broken tinsel leads. Have tried some quick fixes but I'm sick of the quick fixes. I have the dust caps off and am in the process of removing the original speaker adhesive and old tinsel leads.

What are everyones opinions on just doing a direct wire? What size wire is sufficient?

What are everyones opinions on just replacing the tinsel leads?

Pros/Cons?

Suggestions on where/who has a good quality speaker adhesive I can use on reassembly of my subwoofers.

These subwoofers utilize a poly dustcap and a poly cone. How many ounces would I need for my 4 MTX's?

Thank You

wait, are you saying that you want to put regular wire right to the cone? that would not be good at all. first, a good size wire will have a high mass and unballance the cone, as well as throw a lot of stress on the connection point. 2nd, anything but tinsel or rc motor wire is going to simply break from the movement. get yourself some replacement tinsel, which is dirt cheap from guys on here. allow for extra, or even doing it twice. a foot should do. heat shrink at the cane, and terminals is a good idea to spread the flex point away from the connections. there are 3 adhesives i use on speakers/subs. gap filling cyanoacrilate (CA) which also comes in flexible, epoxy, and silicone adhesive, (a good quality one, like right stuff, or full silicone, etc) the silicone/rtv is something i only use on the backside of the cone because it holds the tinsel in place, and allows it to flex a lot, but you also have to consider mass as you are applying it. i also never go strait point to point with the leads. i lay it flat against the cone and curve it... either to the side, or strait up, depending on where it is on the cone, and how much room to the terminals. it's a tale as old as time that i see/and tried to come up with different solutions to replacing tinsels. the only thing that ever works is just installing new tinsel lead, adn make sure there is never tension on it, so it can flex and not bend acutely. another option for placing the tinsel, is stitching to the spider, as some come stock, then making a hard wire(not tinsel) run back up the back of the cone to connect to the coil. quickset/plastic epoxy on the front of the cone, and ca the cap (both keep weight down)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.