SoundQubed Pro audio miss and super tweeters

lifesproduct
10+ year member

I'm curious if I were to by these, can I add any passive crossover to them? Should I be looking for something in particular? I have type-s components and am looking to replace them hoping to raise sensitivity. I would also like a little more tweeter to keep up with my recently upgraded sub amp. Thanks in advance

if you can run an active midbass and tweeter you'll change your mind instantly. I've had good luck with CDT tweeters, even giving mine about 45w rms, but seas and vifa also make nice silk domes.

i've heard good things about the polkdb6501 and mm6501, but it really depends on your budget.

by the way, pro audio is not going to sound nearly as clean.

pro audio drivers are designed to get loud, and handle power. to do this you sacrifice other aspects, mostly sound quality. this isn't to say there are no pro audio speakers that sound good - but i can guarantee you they will not sound anything like a traditional speaker. pro audio tweeters are renowned for being harsh, there's a reason why people put one super tweeter in a door with 2-4 other speakers per door.

running active simply means to take the passive crossover out of the equation, bandpass filter the mids from ~80hz-3khz and the tweeters on a HPF from ~3khz up.

so 2 amps are needed?
depends, i have 2 amps for mids/highs and one for bass. some people are happy with just a front stage, on a single 4 channel amp. others prefer to have more, for example i have 2 amps. ppi 900.4 has my active midbass bpf'd and kick panel components hpf'd. the second alpine class ab amp runs my tweeters active hpf'd @ 3.5khz and then rear channels have my rear fill 4x6's.

the active tweeter and midbass are much louder than the component but they blend well. it's not necessarily an all active or all passive situation.

pro audio drivers are designed to get loud, and handle power. to do this you sacrifice other aspects, mostly sound quality. this isn't to say there are no pro audio speakers that sound good - but i can guarantee you they will not sound anything like a traditional speaker.
The number one issue with people saying pro audio mids are not as clean sounding comes from them being used out of what they were designed for, and just being used to get loud. In order to gain the sensitivity and power handling of pro drivers, it is usually low end extension that suffers. People using midranges and expecting output in the midbass range, throwing them in doors that have not been treated with deadener that haven't been sealed up. No EQ, or dsp tuning.

Treat pro drivers with the same approach as more traditional drivers and they will surprise you. There are a ton of threads on diyma about this that go into some very detailed aspects of using pro drivers but the common conclusion is that pro drivers can be used successfully for good sound quality. Pro drivers are just like everything else, you get what you pay for. The $20 pyle mid is not going to be equal to a $100 mid from B&C, Eminence, JBL

ya my sq pro tweeters and 6.5 sound good....

im always getting complements on how my system sounds.

at 1 point was thinking of getting nicer speakers..

but thats just me being picky ....

but like said you just cant throw a speaker in a hole and call it done.

hell $1000 speaker done that way will sound like shitt.

ya my sq pro tweeters and 6.5 sound good....
im always getting complements on how my system sounds.

at 1 point was thinking of getting nicer speakers..

but thats just me being picky ....

but like said you just cant throw a speaker in a hole and call it done.

hell $1000 speaker done that way will sound like shitt.
Exactly, I would blame a ton of the "pro drivers get loud but sound like crap" on there being a much larger group using them to just get loud and keep up with their subs. This is actually another plus to pro drivers, they are built to take a beating and keep on going. My next build, I plan on using pro drivers but with an SQ type install. I will probably only use a pro mid though, I've never been a fan of harsh tweeters. I like fabric tweeters.

Sorry guys, just catching up, been away for a few days. I'm open to running active but I'm just uncertain about that. I have a nice 4 channel to push 80 rms or so. I have never tuned actively so that is where my concern is. I just know I need to improve in some way, whether that is another amp/speakers or just a nice component or pro audio set

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.