Sound Quality Single 12 to go with a 500w 4Ohm amp? Ideas?

Mike Hawk
10+ year member

Ok
Trying to keep below $200, closer to $100 if possible. I will do $300 (IDQ, etc) if absolute must. (I just don't know if I could even tell the difference between a $50 sale sub and a $300 premo //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif )

Amp is a MB Quart 4125 (Discus model, should have the same guts as the current model onyx).

Box will be custom fiberglass in a wheel well (Sedan), so I could have any cf I need. I'd like quality/music. No muddy getto thumps please.

TIA!!!

Details are lacking, even though I see you have 19 sub classified threads in 2011. Why good sirs, I believe you are mocking me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Obsidian Audio 12.
This is a good choice ^

If you can find a Boston Acoustics G5, they are excellent sq subs. I absolutely love mine. They came in svc 4 ohms. They are discontinued but woofersetc has them on their site and it doesnt say out of stock, so maybe there are some left? They are going for $250 on there, they used to sell for $400 a couple years ago.

Dayton makes some good no frills sq subs, you can find them at partsexpress

SSA Dcons are another good choice, excellent prices right now on them too. Sound Solutions Audio SSA Subwoofers

Enclosure volume probably isn't your limiting factor; depth is. Once you figure out how much depth you have and subtract an inch or so to accommodate the wall of the enclosure and room for the motor to breathe, then you can start narrowing down your choices.

There's no sense in having people recommend subs that are too deep for your application.

Thanks for the input so far.

I'm sorta digging the PE Daytons. What's the difference in layman's terms between the HO and HF?

-edit, well poo, the DCON is now in the front runner.

Funny story, I got in on a slick deal for a Polk DXI 12 + box for ~$53. Sold the Box for $50. Then returned the sub to Best Buy.... basically made $50 on the deal //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif I wanted to love the DXI, but it was a DVC 4ohm, and not the best sub for my setup... hence why I'm on the hunt again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.