something i have just always wondered about car audio. wire size limiter?

Participant count
  • Participant list

eb2phkingood
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
kansas
before i ever owned an amplifier i ran 12 gauge wires to all my speakers, but the wire coming out of the back of my kenwood hu was probably 18-22 gauge or somewhere in there. so what was the point of the 12 gauge wire if the 18-22 coming out of the hu is limiting the current anyways?

second, right now i have my hu ground in the same location of my amps. to do this i ran a 12ga wire back to the ground location. once again, whats the point of 12ga when my ground coming out of my hu is probably a 22ga wire??

please enlighten me and thx in advance!

for how much the power the HU has, stock wires work
That's debatable...stock wires are meant to handle the power of a stock headunit...some headunits are powerful enough to need larger wires. If you actually read your manual most of them tell you to run dedicated power and ground wires and NOT to just tap into the stock wiring.

That's debatable...stock wires are meant to handle the power of a stock headunit...some headunits are powerful enough to need larger wires. If you actually read your manual most of them tell you to run dedicated power and ground wires and NOT to just tap into the stock wiring.
they also recommend 4 gauge for 40 amps.

Also, the longer the wire run, the heavier the gauge needs to be. For runs over 10-15 feet, I would always use 12-16 gauge speaker wire. For runs over 20-30 feet, it would be best to drop down to 12-gauge.

The average headunit only puts out about 22-watts RMS per channel, if that, not really much need to go above 16-gauge speaker wire, same for power and ground.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.