Something advanced

All_Logix
10+ year member

Formerly CivicGTi
Texas
Ok, I have done multiple searches to see if anyone has ever even attempted this feat and I couldn't find anything, thus I turn to you guys.

I have decided that I would like to attempt to have the processing power and guts of my Alpine ida-x305s but the interface of my factory radio. I have a 2011 Honda Civic LX Coupe with what was originally the standard audio system.

What this would involve is taking the Alpine apart, detaching the screen from the chassis, and removing the control plate. Then I would need to map the control inputs. Which button does completes a circuit. This is assuming that the buttons are standard digital in's on the circuit board. My only concern here is the volume knob. I am hoping because it clicks when you turn it, my apologies to those who are not familiar with programming, that it is also a digital in that increments some sort of stack in the program.

The next venture would be to do the same with the factory radio, again this is hoping the volume knob is digital as it also clicks. Once I map the controls I would need to locate the screen somewhere and run wire from it to the chassis (mounting it behind factory interface) and solder in the controls to the face plate input on the chassis.

NOW, having said that....has anyone ever attempted anything like this, any tips or advice out there? Thanks in advance.

Well I went ahead and started on this project, I can do a write up if you guys like if I pull it off. Any takers?

sounds VERY interesting! never seen anything like this done on here though.

Good luck and definitely post pictures as you go!!

if your factory knob isn't a linear pot, then it should be pretty strait-foreword to do a comparison test. it is likely that your alpine knob and functions run via the i'c. siplest thing to do is simply pull the fae and button pannel from the factory head and isolate every component, then do re-direct wiring, using those buttons. gonna take time to map out all the buttons and choose the function, and then to isolate and solder the 100 wires, lol.. should be cool stealth install..

Closest I have seen done is remote mounting of the faceplate into a visor, and having only a cd slot in the dash.

Even if both knobs are potentiometer styles, you will still be able to go back and forth, it may even be easier. You could in theory just put the stock knob on the aftermarket shaft.

CHEMMINS, I considered putting the Alpine knob in as a last resort, it fits but doesn't match. I have everything pulled apart on the alpine and I believe that I am going to be able to solder into the control board that was in the Alpine faceplate. The only thing that worries me now is that I need to mount the screen somewhere and it connects via a 40 pin AWM ribbon that I am going to have to heavily modify for results.

Flipx99, your right it is going to be a massive amount of work for not that big of a pay off which is why I more than likely wouldn't be attempting it if it were not simply to see if I can.

I look into starting up a build thread on it.

My only concern here is the volume knob. I am hoping because it clicks when you turn it, my apologies to those who are not familiar with programming, that it is also a digital in that increments some sort of stack in the program.
Most likely rotary encoders are used for the volume controls. They need real-time processing to read the quadrature output and most systems store the current value in EEPROM somewhere.

Good luck with your project.

maylar, after breaking open the Alpine I was able to figure out that it used a series of conductors that worked sorta like a shift register. I am planning to keep the alpine faceplate board and just hide it, this way I can retain any onboard processing that it might do. I am also going to have to solder directly into the button posts on the board anyway and use the faceplate control board because it uses the button to trigger a transistor gate which feeds into the rest of the system. I will start to get pictures up as soon as I can for anyone interested.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.